Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Adam Archuleta

yeah that's 40 lbs of lean tissue he put on at least, might have even lost some fat

ccj, seems like a lot of that "absorbing force" work would result in some hypertrophy...isn't that mostly an eccentric movement?

CoolColJ said:
He's doing it on the floor - hook legs under a support etc.
You can do this too, just find something to hook your legs under and use your arms to help initially - umm just do plyo pushups - kill 2 birds with one stone :)

He does use a GHR machine on the DVD

He does all the usual benches, deadlifts, powercleans, squats, dips etc
even curls :)
Like he said, it's not the exercises, it's how you do them.

Doing weights put on muscles.
6 years of training will add that on easily enough. I mean all those 20+singles he does in one session with 400-500lbs ought to add some muscle - no? :)
he pretty lean as well, so no fluff, all lean body mass gains.

Thanks for the info. I saw those ballistic curls he was doing...lol.
I guess he does everything else like that too.

Maybe I could do GHR with my feet up against the pins of a squat rack...like if I was perpendicular to the squat rack?

Also could you describe some of the things he does in what detail you know. I'm a beginner so I wouldn't be doing any of it, but I'm just curious.
----------------------------------------------
Here's what I could dig up:

Elite FTS Q&A archives:

A self-supported db row+rebound, is an exercise we got from Jay Schroeder, is a loaded movement to an unloaded movement. Use a staggered stance and the leg that is out front is your support leg. You rest your elbow of the same side on your knee and perform a db row. After the required number of reps drop the db and grab a 3-5# db, hold at your hip and let the db drop, SHOOT your hand to grab the falling db(do not catch) and put back to your hip as fast as possible and repeat for 5 reps. Essentially a loaded to unloaded movement.

Schroeder's rebound bench press and so called edi bench press and glute ham raises at any point in your training cycles? Do you know what the rationale behind why they are throwing Archuletta up on the ghr, while stimulating his hams with the e.m.s., as shown on the dvd they put out?

Stuff about supercompensation and Soviet Sports Review

He performed bench presses by releasing the barbell catching it and exploding up. He did the same thing on a machine that looked like a railroad rail in a rack (Any ideas what kind of machine?). Then he was in bent over lateral raise position. He would drop a small dumbbell and catch it. Finally, he would do a pushup, and then on the second pushup he would explode up and spin, so when he landed he would be facing 180 degrees in the opposite direction. I am thinking these exercises were all to develop explosiveness. I have a guess why he is releasing the weight and catching it.

As for the bench technique of dropping the bar, it is similar to the speed bench with bands. Most of the training you saw involved fast eccentric into explosive concentric movements. You just have to move into this training slowly And when an athlete is at a high level

Website for associate: http://www.arpprogram.com./

Info from Charliefrancis.com thread
A few months ago, there was quite a discussion about Jay Schroeder's methods on this forum. Everyone who has purchased his video has agreed that it's impossible to develop a workout based on the info given. I looked up the Supertraining archives and found this. It's a sample program that Jay wrote for a college rugby team. I also posted this over on the elitefts website:
Isometric : 1-3 Minutes

Ice Massage: 3 - 5 Minutes

Rest 4 -6 Minutes: Specialized Drinks

Rebound Technique: 3 Minutes Total Performance [No Rest Time Included]

Rest 4 - 6 Minutes: Self Massage

3 x 1 x 80% 10 Count Eccentric, Followed By Rapid Concentric Phase. Use
Vibrator Massage Between Sets

3 x 2 x 90% Manual Overspeed, Normal Eccentric Phase,[ Concentric Phase Must
Be Performed in 25% Of Normal Performance Time]

ANCILLIARY METHODICS SCHEDULE

Perform A Normal Eccentric and Then Hold For 3 - 10 Counts And Perform A Fast
Concentric, For A Total Of 3 Sets Of 3 Reps
Perform the Following Ancillary Exercises: Russian Twist, Glute-Ham Raise,
Barbell Row, Barbell Curl
Perform These Exercises On Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday

MASTER PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE

Weeks 1 and 2 Perform As Is Written

Weeks 3 and 4: Drop Slow Eccentric On 80% Performance, Manual
Overspeed Increases To 105%

Weeks 5 and 6: Drop The Isometric

Weeks 7 and 8: Perform 2 X 1 X 95%, 2 X 1 X 105%, 2 X 1 X 110% With No
Ancillary Work

WEEKLY PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE

Isometric
Rebound
Primary

Monday:

One Legged Squat
Russian Lunge
Squat
Double Bounce

Tuesday:

Wide Dip
Close Grip Bench
Bench Press
Top & Bottom

Wednesday:

Deadlift In Cage
Low Squat Foot Jump
Deadlift
Top & Bottom

Thursday:

Off - Restorative Measures, Active Rest

Friday

All E.D.I., All Primary - 5 Sets

Saturday:

Rebound Push-Ups,
Russian Lunge - 200 Of Each, Perform Throughout The Day

Sunday:

Off Restorative Measures

I cannot say for certain, but I'm 90% sure that the "special drink" used by Schroedder is on of the following:

No.1 1 hour before training and during the recovery period

- 100g of sugar in 8 ounces of water
- Add 10 drops of pharmaceutical hydrochloric acid
- Boil for 20 minutes
- Add 0.5 grams of vitamin C and 8grams of citric acid

No.2 30-60 minutes before an intense workout

- 120g of sour cream
- 60g sunflower-seed oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 100g of orange juice
- 25g of lemon juice

These are taken from "Secrets of Soviet Sports Fitness and Training" by Yessis. Considering that Schroedder used much of the same sources as Yessis, it is quite possible (probable in fact) that he used the same formula (which he probably modified a bit).

A 12oz. serving of Kool-Aid has 45g of sugar and eggs have a complete amino acid profile.

So basically a Kool-Aid + egg mix provides:

- Protein (6g per egg, or 3g per egg white)
- Carbohydrates
- Water
- Some electrolytes

While this drink is nothing magical, it's not as dumb as it sounds. As a post-workout drink you need proteins and fast absorbed carbs to trigger the restorative response.

There are lots of "recovery drinks/post-workout drinks" available on the market (Surge, Cytomax, Endurox, etc.) which are basically a mix of protein and simple carbohydrates. So a Kool-aid + egg white drink would be very similar in content (and thus in effect) to a commercial RD/PWD at a fraction of the cost.

Now, there is always the question of raw eggs being dangerous... so one could use a whey protein + kool-aid mix with the same effect as most commercial preparations. I add vitamin C (500-1000mg per portion), vitamin E (400iu per portion), fish oil (2g) and tyrosine (3-4g).

Isometric holds at sticking points. I guess that's why CCJ has been doing those lately.

"These are taken from "Secrets of Soviet Sports Fitness and Training" by Yessis.
Considering that Schroedder used much of the same sources as Yessis, it is quite
possible (probable in fact) that he used the same formula (which he probably modified
a bit).

A 12oz. serving of Kool-Aid has 45g of sugar and eggs have a complete amino acid
profile.

So basically a Kool-Aid + egg mix provides:

- Protein (6g per egg, or 3g per egg white)
- Carbohydrates
- Water
- Some electrolytes

While this drink is nothing magical, it's not as dumb as it sounds. As a post-workout
drink you need proteins and fast absorbed carbs to trigger the restorative response.

There are lots of "recovery drinks/post-workout drinks" available on the market
(Surge, Cytomax, Endurox, etc.) which are basically a mix of protein and simple
carbohydrates. So a Kool-aid + egg white drink would be very similar in content (and
thus in effect) to a commercial RD/PWD at a fraction of the cost. "

Now THAT is really interesting. Great post delldell2.

SlobberKnocker - I think it could, especially with the volume he does em at. And those eccentrics create a lot more tension than normal training does that's for sure!

You can use anything to do a manual GHR :)

I use those incline situp boards, hook my feet under the rollers and face down the baord. The incline makes it a fuller ROM as well!

He also does isometric single arm preacher curls - Jay says that's their primary bicep exercise - although I think he was doing a piss take :D

EDI stands for Eccentric Dynamic Isometric. He will do a slow eccentric, hold an isometric with partner resistance, and then explode (dynamic) for 5 reps, hold another isometric and then more reps etc
He does a lot of that stuff - static dynamics.

Rebounds are all those plyo type executions - where you pull or push the bar down and then reverse it. There is an article on Tmag by Charles Staley (who knows Jay's stuff as I quoted him earlier) that describes rebounds for benches well. Basicly you row the weight towards you explosively, and then explode the bar back up again at your sticking point. So your pulling the bar toward you and then back up, exploding through the bar - ie these are like depth jumps for your bench. All those curls etc are done the same way - you tricep pressdown the bar and curl it back up. Obviously training like this is pretty intensive on the tendons, and you need a considerable strength base and a good prep level of training under your belt. Like Jay said - you need to spend time in the gym to just be able to do these exercises and train this way :)

Manual overspeed - is where you lower it normally and then someone helps you explode the concentric, so it goes faster. A bit like using weight releasers - so heavy down, and light up.
He does this with the GHR Machine in the DVD, he lowers down normally and then 2 guys push on chest explosively so he can explode up, and then lower on his own steam and so on.
It plays tricks with the CNS.

Double bounce - is where you do 2 small rebounds and then a big jump or rep. Actiavates the stretch reflex. I notice some of the Bulgarians do this in squats on the IronMind tape.

There is also a lot of stuff where you drop and catch things, to activate the "survival fibers" . There is a deadlift style move I "invented" that does a similar thing where you drop and catch a barbell in in deadlift style stance :)

But I figure he only started doing all these fancy things in the last 3 years of the 6 year program he went through before the NFL draft, once the strength and conditioning base was there.

Someone sent me a basic prep program from Jay a while back, which Jay gave to him to do. I can't find it anymore, but at the time I didn't understand much of it, but I think I could decipher some of it now.

Ohhhh, thanks for that incline situp suggestion. I think that would work really well. It might be sort of awkward setting up though. Do you have a picture of what kind of situp board it was? We have 2 different kinds in the gym.

it's just a slant board with with 2 sets of rollers at the top. I wedge my feet between the closest roller and the board and face the floor

You can use a loaded barbell etc use your imagination

Top Bottom