Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A few questions before I start a CKD diet on Monday...

LaviathanX

I'm 21/m, 184-6lbs, ~16% bodyfat

A few questions so I don't screw up this diet:

1) Is counting calories a must? I realize that it's hard to force food down on a CKD diet, so I figure I'll eat a good portion every few hours. Is it *feasibly* possible to eat too much and end up gaining fat?

2) My whey protein contains 4g of carbs per serving (Simply Whey and Optimum Whey). If I take 2 servings in the morning and 2 at night, that's 16g of carbs just from my whey. Twice that amount and I'm out of ketosis. How do I manage that?

3) For the carb re-feed day, do I stick to stuff like rice, potatoes, etc, or can I drink fruit juice and whatnot, as stated in the BodyOPUS book?

4) Are drinks containing citric acid ok? I remember reading something about how it kicks you out of ketosis. What about the sweetner with "phenkleutronics" or whatever. I'm mostly referring to those oh-so good calorie-free flavored carbonated waters that they have in Wal-Mart (Strawberry rules). 44c/liter. Give 'em a try. Which sweetner should you NOT have? Is Equal ok?

I hope somebody can answer these for me. I've done my research but everyone has mixed feelings about stuff. I just want to hear it from somebody w/ a lot of experience in keto diets. I don't wanna screw this up and end up losing muscle and/or gaining fat. Thanks everybody!

1. Count calories. It's still a matter of cals in vs. cals out, and yeas you can eat too much and gain some chub.

2. Don't even bother with the whey during the low carb phase. It can illicit an insulin response similar to carbs due to it's quick digestion, plus 16g carbs is enough carbs to mess up some people's diets. Just eat some meat or eggs.

3. Eat high gi to start, switch to medium to low, then you last 2 meals go back to high GI. Only eat anything w/ fructose before your depletion workout. It takes alot longer to get into keto w/a fully carbed liver.

4. Citric acid and sweeteners depend on the person. You'll have to experiment how much, if any, of either will kick YOU out of ketosis. Personally, I've never had a problem with either.

Good Luck on the CKD.
-Dynamite

Well see the thing is, I've seen people post their 6 meals and 2 of them is always "whey protein w/ flax seed oil". Now, I assume the flax will sloooow down the digestion of the whey. So does it make whey OK to take?

Also, I've read that you should eat 1.5g of fat for every 1g of protein. With me eating beef jerky, eggs, tuna, etc, which have little/no fat or a 1:1 or less ratio of fat to protein, what else can I eat? I add butter to everything to get some fat in there. And my flax is coming in tomorrow hopefully. Any suggestions?

Flax will slow whey somewhat, but I think you're better off just dropping whey. If you eat meat, you won't have to worry about the quick digestion or carbs in the powder.
To raise fat, eat:
Ground Beef
Steak
Cheese
Whole Eggs
Bacon
If you want a meal plan for a CKD based on cals, you can check out metabolicdiet.com and just drop the foods w/the 30g carbs a day in them.

No whey?:bawling: So, you guys just cook the meats the night before and microwave them the next day:confused:

In my case, I might as well just go to Wendy's everyday and eat a double/triple burger w/cheese no bread....

I work at Starbucks, and yall should try this:

2 equals, 2 shots of espresso, then heavy whipping cream to the first green line (they'll know what to do), then add ice. It's good as hell, and has like 2 carbs b/c of the cream. I'm now an addict!

And it's actually been easy to not eat carbs. Hell, I put together the pastry case a few times a week. Muffins, cakes, banana loaf (mmmm), crossaints, and allllll those friggin drinks to choose from. That takes some freakin willpower.

Well, I started on Sunday and it's now Tuesday and I'm in ketosis (ketostick is purple). Thanks for everyone's help! It's a breeze so far.

So is it possible to just do the diet for a week? Not that I will, I plan to do it for three, but in theory, can you lose fat just for the week while doing a keto diet?

Also, is string cheese a good thing to eat? I eat them like it's my job. For those of you looking to try something new, get some break-apart beefsteaks in your frozen food section. Cook them in a giant scoop of butter. <homer> Mmmmm....butter...

Top Bottom