Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I could use some help. I keep getting sick during my workouts.

JustKeepGoing.

Hey all first post here. First off I want to say I really hope I can get some solid advice here to help me reach my goals. Which by the way is to gain weight, period. I won't go into my life story here but I'm coming off a severe illness and I'm trying to get as big and strong as I used to be, but it's not an easy road. Right now I'm having a problem with feeling nauseous every time I work out. Especially when I squat heavy. I'm 100% sure it's a mental thing here but I have some basic questions anyways.

I used to drink a ton of water during my workouts. I also used to eat a lot right before I worked out. Then I started to get sick in the weight room and kind of developed a phobia of working out. Now I don't drink hardly any water during my workout, I heard that it just makes it easier to puke if you do. I usually bring a water bottle and just sip once or twice to wet my tongue. I also don't eat for about 3-4 hours before hand. Am I doing this wrong? Will drinking water when I feel sick make me sicker or make me feel better?

Hello....welcome to EF.

I have a question and an observation;

Observation; sounds like you're dehydrated during workouts which is causing nausea. Ever been hung over? Hang over = dehydration.

I know it may be a personal thing, but what illness? Knowing this will probably allow us to better help you....and no one will flame you for it or I'll ban their ass

Eat a meal with lean protein and some good complex carbohydrates an hour before training. It sounds very much like your running just about on empty while trying to do a good training session. As far as the water goes I have never had a problem with drinking too much water. You need water when your training to stay properly hydrated.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using EliteFitness

Sure, honestly I usually just say that to sum up what happened. I ended up just having a very large Hiatal hernia and it led to some pretty strong acid reflux symptoms. It eventually became strangulated and had to be corrected. That combined with an anxiety disorder, which I wasn't ready to accept, lead to me losing about 55 lbs and all my strength gains.

Nowadays it's still a battle with my anxiety. I mean it's where I began throwing up and now whenever I start pushing myself I guess I subconsciously think I'm about to cause all that happening again.

I know it doesn't sound that bad, but when I got sick everything spiraled out of control and had to leave college. I became very depressed and self conscious about how much weight I had lost but was too afraid to go push myself again to earn it back. But I'm doing it. I've gained about 30 lbs of my natural body weight back and I'm going to the gym. But I'm still hesitant to push myself the way I like to. Eating enough is also a problem but I'm trying. It doesn't matter what it takes I will get back to where I was at.

Anxiety is hard to understand if you have never had it. It sounds as though you are doing great. If you keep doing what your doing and working your way up the weights and keep adding the extra food you are heading in the right direction for building up your confidence and getting into the shape you want. Wish you all the best on your journey.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using EliteFitness

Thank you I appreciate it. But like I said earlier when I keep getting nauseous in the weight room the only thing I do now is drink enough so that I can swallow again and then keep going. Is that the wrong thing to do?

Last edited:
I would try a meal with lean protein and complex carbs (oats, sweet potato or rice) an hour before training and drink a good amount of water while training buddy.

Top Bottom