Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

gaining muscle mass

eyedea40

Hello every one i got some questions i recently lost about 60 lbs on weight watchers . i work out 5 times a week i am looking to gain some muscle mass and i know in order to gain more muscle i need more food i am like 145 now 5'7 i have muscle and good def but i would like to be bigger . What do you guys recomend to gain muscle mass as far as supplments meal replacement bars etc. how meny calories should i eat a day ? . thanx for the info guys !

Congrats on the weight loss.

If you are now looking to add mass then you will need to know what your current nutritional intake is so that you can make the necessary adjustments to achieve your goal. Spend a week writing things down in terms of your caloric, carb, protein, and fat intake values. You will be able to find all of this on the packaging of the products.
  • one gram of protein = 4 calories
  • one gram of carbs = 4 calories
  • one gram of fat = 9 calories

Your diet will need to be high in protein, preferrably at a level of one gram per pound of lean body mass. Your carb intake should be moderate to high depending on the intensity of your physical activity but watch this closely and adjust your carb intake (or the level of your activity) if you begin to add more bodyfat than you want. Try to keep your fat intake under 60 grams per day and minimise your saturated fat intake. Avoid trans and hydrogenated fats completely. Space out your meals throughout the day and keep your body properly hydrated at all times.

You will also need to know what your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) is:

Adult Male:
  • BMR = 66 + (6.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Adult Female:
  • BMR = 665 + (4.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

Your BMR is a set value of how many calories your body requires to function at a resting position. You will use this value to determine how many calories you are going to need on a daily basis to achieve your goal.
  • If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  • If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  • If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  • If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  • If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Your resistance training should be a minimum of 3 days per week with any cardiovascular activity confined to just warming up your muscles prior to working out. The more intense your workouts are and the frequency will require an increase to your caloric requirements. Try to keep your diet as clean as possible whist doing this so that your bodyfat percentage is kept in check. It would be an idea to have your body fat percentage assessed before you begin your bulking program.

As far as supplements, the only thing I would recommend is Protein as the bulk of your nutritional intake should come from natural food sources. If you wish to add a protein supplement then look for products with these listings:
  • Bioactive Whey Fraction
  • Cross Flow Microfiltration Whey Isolate
  • Ion-exchanged Whey Isolate
  • Whey Isolate
  • Whey Concentrate
  • Egg Protein
    [*}Milk Protein
  • Casein
  • Soy Isolate
  • Hydrolysed Whey

You will find that the names at the top of the list are more expensive (in general) but are of a higher quality in terms of their absorption rate. You will want to be consuming a high quality protein source immediately after your workouts. Casein based protein supplements are more suited for consumption during other parts of the day when a slower absorption rate is required. If you don't wish to purchase two different protein sources then just go with the higher quality product and either mix it with milk or flax oil to slow down the absorption rate. Make sure you do some research on the products you are interested in before you purchase them so that you know how they work.

KP--Fitness Basics

Top Bottom