Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Rock Climbing..has anyone gone?

_Yossarian_

Planning a five day trip to the mountains in a month or so for my first rock climbing excursion. The guy I was speaking with said you dont need to be particularly strong to climb, but for some reason I dont believe him. Here's a pic of advanced beginner climb done on the 2nd day

http://www.student.virginia.edu/~outdoors/gallery/albums/Gunks/DCP_1504.jpg

looks to me like you'd going to need some strength to ascend that, and it only gets more technical as the week progresses. Has anyone here gone? I was thinking of changing my training routine to prepare myself,any suggestions? Maybe a shitload of pullups eod and alot of forearm work. Oh yeah, and a short 4 weeker of var at 40mg/day :)

I go all the time, the route in the pic looks pretty straight-forward, probably rated a 5.4.

The 5 means vertical, the integer following the decimal point indicates level of difficulty.
0-15 are generally the ranges used.

Yeah, that route doesn't look too bad. As far as muscles go, for me rock climbing was always a whole body workout. I used to be a rock climbing trainor when I was younger and did that for about 4 years. You really need to have everything, arms, shoulders, abs, legs, back the whole nine yards. I always thought that rock climbing was one of the hardest workouts I ever did. I climbed 7 days a week for a minimum of two hours a day plus training others. It is a great hobby. Have fun and be safe.

I belong to an indoor rock climbing gym and go often, I've only gone outside a handful of times. If you climb with good technique, then finger strength and leg strength are most important. Too many people use bad technique and end up doing pullups all the way up the wall, which makes it much tougher. I'm a 5.7 - 5.8 climber myself, if I'm leading then I stick to 5.6's and below.

Do you suggest climbing indoors in advance as preparationfor outside? they just built a huge indoor facility about 45min from me, Ill go check it out this weekend.....

Check these B'shizzles out...
mtn%20climbers%20sm.jpg

No.
Indoor is NO way to prepare for the real thing.

I like going to rock gyms, but it is NOTHING like the real thing. In fact, a rock gym will convince you that you *can* power through routes and dyno every crux....

I'd go from outdoor to indoor, you'll get a greater appreciation of the joys of indoor climbing if you have an understanding of what it gives you over outdoor:

1.) No 20 minute hike to the site.
2.) No 45 minute set-up.
3.) Forgetting something is bad. (Water, harness, shoes etc)
4.) Bug spray and Sun block ruin fingertips.

Yossarian2000 said:
Do you suggest climbing indoors in advance as preparationfor outside? they just built a huge indoor facility about 45min from me, Ill go check it out this weekend.....

Top Bottom