Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Look what these vandals did to a charity center I work at

mylife

I coach soccer at various underprivileged elementary schools and youth centers throughout the county. This one in particular is the worst out of all. For one, most of these kids parents are irresponsible and poor. Plus they live out in the middle of sugarcane fields where the only thing to do is play sports or get in trouble with the law.

Anyways, this article is from today's paper regarding the vandalism. lol at the director saying, "...it's just another form of terrorism"

"We can't even do that now. We have nothing," Rivera said.
image_1762241.jpg

Friday, July 29, 2005

On the school bus that takes poor migrant children to camp, every window is shattered, top and bottom. The van that brings meals to needy families in Pahokee is burnt to its hull. The van that offers a lift to adults trying to learn English is without windows too, and its tires slashed.

By vandalizing all three of New Hope Charities' vehicles, someone also stole the agency's ability to help people.

"We can't pick up food. We can't pick up kids. We can't transport anyone," said Guillermo Rivera, family center managing director at New Hope. "We've been crippled by this act of vandalism. They couldn't have planned it any better. Take out our vehicles and we're done."

The vandalism was discovered when workers arrived Thursday morning.

There are no suspects and no indication the crime is anything other than random destruction, said Palm Beach County sheriff's Sgt. Robert Quinones. Damage is estimated at $27,000, and the state fire marshal is investigating the fire, he said.

"There's no indication this is somebody trying to get revenge. This was a remote area, and someone took advantage of it and went for a free-for-all," Quinones said. New Hope is at ****, which is closed to traffic while it is under construction.

On Thursday, children who showed up for camp took a charter bus to West Palm Beach to participate in a program that teaches youngsters how to apply for jobs like an adult. But that program ends today, and Rivera said the last week of camp will be canceled if he can't find another way to get the children around by Monday.

"A lot of these kids, the parents don't have a means to drive them to the center, basically in the middle of a cane field," Rivera said.

The final week of camp is the most exciting, with trips to the Rapids water park and a deep-sea fishing trip. The children look forward to it all summer, Rivera said.

"We save the best trips for last. This effectively kills all that. ... The folks who did this have no clue what they've done. They hurt the kids," Rivera said.

Mark Coppock, director of operations for New Hope, said the vehicles are insured, but the deductibles are thousands of dollars.

"We're trying to borrow a bus, rent a bus, do whatever we have to do. Being a charitable organization, this is a very large, unexpected expense for us," Coppock said. "It's just another form of terrorism."

Each week, the charity picks up supplies at a food bank.

Last year, New Hope distributed 100,000 pounds of food, Rivera said. New Hope also gets donations from Bed Bath and Beyond and brings them to churches.

"We can't even do that now. We have nothing," Rivera said.

That's really sad. I hope the article will bring in some donations to help fix the vans.

Jeez.... what happened to toilet papering and blacking out windows with shoe polish? At least that didn't cost money to repair.

That's awful. I have no idea how people can have such rampant disregard for the property and lives of others. :(

Bed,Bath and beyond is one of my favorite places to shop
glad to see that coy helping with donations

4everhung said:
Bed,Bath and beyond is one of my favorite places to shop

BB and B is one of your favorite places to shop? You're listed as M in your gender...are you sure? j/k!

What can you say about people like this. Karma will get them someday, I just have to believe that. I saw on the local news here today that they are thinking of canceling a local Halloween parade because an anti-abortion group won the right to have a float in the parade. It wouldn’t be so bad, but the way they are decorating it is just vulgar and rude (hanging fetuses off the car and holding signs that say baby killers). Whether you’re for it of against it, find a different venue you your stinking politics. All I know is now a bunch of kids who could care less about the legality of abortion aren’t getting a parade.

Vicious cycle said:
BB and B is one of your favorite places to shop? You're listed as M in your gender...are you sure? j/k!

What can you say about people like this. Karma will get them someday, I just have to believe that. I saw on the local news here today that they are thinking of canceling a local Halloween parade because an anti-abortion group won the right to have a float in the parade. It wouldn’t be so bad, but the way they are decorating it is just vulgar and rude (hanging fetuses off the car and holding signs that say baby killers). Whether you’re for it of against it, find a different venue you your stinking politics. All I know is now a bunch of kids who could care less about the legality of abortion aren’t getting a parade.
I've been divorced 7 years
and while I don't keep a spotless house
I need new sheets regularily(I buy new sheets for new girlfriends)
I'm learning to cook and have a good assortment of quality cookware and knives
can never have enough rugs in a house
there's all kinds of "home shit" there

btw
let's hope the story receives a lot of publicity and then I'm sure some local business's and/or individuals will kick in some replacement vehicles

thats sad..i do not see what forces people to do these things...seems like it is happening more frequently lately.....disgusts me......

Top Bottom