Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Jimmy Carter has won the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize

BodhiDharma

Jimmy Carter has won the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize

OSLO, Norway (CNN) -- Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has won the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize for his work for peace and human rights around the world.

Carter, Democrat president from 1977 to 1981, has won praise for tireless work as an ex-president in trying to bring peace to everywhere from Haiti to North Korea.

He has been repeatedly nominated for the prize, worth $1 million, and came close to winning in 1978 when he brought Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat together at Camp David and his presidency faltered and ultimately failed under the weight of the Iran hostage crisis.

The peace prize announcement by the Norwegian Nobel Committee on Friday caps a week of prizes, with the awards for literature, medicine, physics, chemistry and economics already announced in Sweden's capital, Stockholm.

Carter won from a record field of 156 candidates -- 117 individuals and 39 groups -- vying for the prize named after Alfred Nobel, a Swedish philanthropist and inventor of dynamite. The list remains secret for 50 years, but those who nominate sometimes announce their choice.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai, also a candidate for the prize, was one of the first people to congratulate Carter and said he was happy to be among the candidates.

"After the 23 years of war and disaster in Afghanistan, to be known for peace is really nice and enjoyable, but I believe President Carter deserved it," Karzai said, minutes after the official announcement.

"[Carter] had many, many years of work for peace in a very concerted way, in a very human way, and I congratulate him, he deserved it better than I. I'll try for next year," Karzai added.

Born James Earl Carter Jr., he was universally "Jimmy," a politician with the common touch right down to his blue jeans in the Oval Office on weekends and a fondness for the music of Bob Dylan.

After winning the 1976 race for the White House, the nation's 39th president and born-again Christian promised Americans in his inaugural address he would remain "close to" them, quoting a passage from the Bible:

"But to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God."

Then, he shunned the bulletproof limo and walked the 1.5 miles from the Capitol to the White House. "We got out of the car, it was so cold ... but I was numb from the excitement anyway. I don't think I even realised it was cold while I was walking down Pennsylvania Avenue. It was great!" remembers former first lady Rosalynn Carter.

When Jimmy Carter entered the world on October 1, 1924, his lineage may have hinted at future greatness but not much else did.

Researchers have traced Carter's ancestry back to British nobility, but in 1924 his father ran a farm supply store in Plains, Georgia, and was a peanut farmer and a state legislator. His mother was a nurse at the local hospital.

Carter did his chores on the family farm, got good grades in school, attended Georgia Tech, and was appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy.

After he graduated in 1946, he married his sister Ruth's best friend, Rosalynn Smith. They had three boys and a girl.

Very Cool. I've always admired Carters work. He is probably the most intelligent President we've ever had.

You knew he would eventually win one. Kind of surprising that he hadn't already.

One of the most influential ex-presidents we've had.

Oh, by the way. What may be a shock to some of you. I voted for Carter in my first presidential election. This was before I met Eldridge Cleaver two years later and had the great conversion on the road to Damascus. :)

This guy was one of the worst prez we ever had, and has done great things ever since leaving teh white house.

a girl I used to date met him with her family about a year ago. she was in a pizza place in Bermuda and noticed that there were a lot of guys in suits with sunglasses on and then saw that he was there.

hot damn. bet she feels special now.

A decent man, but not a good President. Though in fairness if his own party hadn't kept stabbing him in the back on domestic policy, he might have accomplished more...

Top Bottom