Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much does it cost to replace brake pads

Lao Tzu

My brakes are squealing and i probably need to replace the pads. How much will this cost on a 1999 Ford Ranger? I have heard a ballpark is about $300 total for 2 axles. Does anyone know?

Unless you walked in there in a miniskirt, chewing gum, twirling your hair, and generally giving the impression you want to get shafted, there's no reason they should charge you that much.

I must be crazy cuz it sounds cheap to me..Providing they are installing the pads, rotating the drums, etc.

What the hell do I know? My old man can do this kinda stuff so I never have to pay a garage too work on my car.

Exactly what Ceebs & Wodin said

A set of 2 brake pads for most vehicles is between $15-35.

I just checked JC Whitney, you can get a set of Titanium ti22 brake pads for $29.95
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=162901&BQ=jcw2

So figure $60 for the brake pads (tops) and 10-15 minutes to do the brake pads on each wheel.

So even if they are charging you a scandalous $80 for the pads, they want $220 for an hours labor??? Tell em to fuck themselves.

Yep front brake pads (which are MUCH easier than the rear drums) are going to run you abour 90-100.

Where I used to work we charges a uniform $90/axle even though rears were much more of a bitch.

Also as a rule of thumb the rears wear out at half the rate of fronts or slower so you should only have to get your rears done every other time you get your fronts done.

Of course it's cheaper to do it yourself but not everyone knows a grease monkey.

Well, i went to get it checked today. I only need pads on my rear axle. Firestone wants $160 total for labor & parts. I have no idea how they came up with $70 for pads. Meineke will do it for $90-110 total. Pads are only about $40 a pair so i might try to get a mechanic friend to do them for me. If he can't i guess i'll go to meineke. Maybe they still have those penny gum machines.

Top Bottom