Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Vitamin K????

toga22

SideShow Freak
I was told by my doctor that I must eat more foods rich in vitamin K. What foods have this vitamin and why is it so important?

:confused:

The problem is, most doctors are not schooled in nutrition to any great extent, so generally asking them anything other than basic dietary questions is not always met with the best answer. No offence to any of you medical types out there. :) I found this on the web, hope it helps.

Vitamin K assists in the maintenance of proper blood clotting and may also inhibit the growth of some cancers.
The following foods (and amounts) all contain comparable levels of Vitamin K, equal to slightly more than the Recommended Daily Amount:

1/8 cup of turnip greens
1/3 cup of broccoli
4 ounces of beef liver
10 ounces of cheese

He could have at least asked why Vit-K is important. The doctor had to know that or he wouldn't have told him he needed more of it.

Here is a list of foods in categories. Those mentioned first have higher amounts than those mentioned later in the list for each category:

VEGETABLES:
Kale, 817ug/100gm
spinach, 400ug/100gm
broccoli, 205ug/100gm
cabbage, 147...
lettuce, 122
green beans, 47
peas, 36
cucumbers, 19
tomoatos, 6
Carrots, 5
Beets, 3
Onions, 2
Potatoes, 0.8
Sweet Corn, 0.5ug/100gm

GRAINS:
Bread, 3ug/100gm
Oatmeal, 3
White rice, 1ug/100gm

NUTS, OILS, SEEDS:
Soybean Oil, 193ug/100gm
Rapeseed Oil, 141
Olive Oil, 49
Dry Soybeans, 47
Dry Kidney Beans, 19
Safflower Oil, 11
Corn Oil, 3
Dry Navy Beans, 2ug/100mg

FRUITS:
Avocado (yep, it's a fruit), 40ug/100mg
Grapes, 3
Cantaloupe, 1
Bananas, 0.5
Apples and oranges, 0.1ug/mg.

MEATS AND DAIRY:
All meats = 0.5 and below
Tuna, <0.1
Butter, 7
Cheddar cheese, 3
Skim Milk, <0.1ug/100mg.

Just in case you are wondering, the usual daily recommended intake is 0.5-1.5ug/kg of bodyweight. I think the RDA is at 1.0ug/kg of bodyweight.

Hope that helps you out, LATER!

MR. BMJ

Thanks for all of your replys. They were very helpful.

And to Humanshell--Since you are so critical and degrading about the whole question. I went to the doctor to have bloodwork done and they sent me a nifty letter explaining the results. And in his suggestions he wrote and I quote.."Eat more foods rich in vitamin K." I left a voice message for the doc...but really don't expect to hear from him until the end of next week..if I am lucky. So I thought I would post the question to see if anyone might know.

Also stay away from alcohol it hinders vitamin k in the body big time most alcoholics are seriously deficient in vitamin k.

Top Bottom