Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gaba

Baddogg

OK everyone I have a question..Does anyone use this stuff called GABA... If so do you see pretty good results.. I haven't heard to much about it except it is supposed to increase hormone levels...any info would be appreciated...:fro:

I read this msg from another forum:

GABA, or Gamma-Aminobutryic Acid, is a powerful amino acid that was first discovered in 1883 in Berlin. It is actually classified as a nearuotransmitter, which means it helps nerve impulses cross the synapses (gaps) and communicate better. GABA has a great number of positive effects on the nervous system.
Orally taken GABA cannot cross the Blood Brain Barrier
I took a sleeping aid that had a side effect of increasing GABA levels. It worked good for that reason even when I didn't need it for sleep, but it's not a drug I want to be on ordinarily (because it's a sleeping aid). But that led me to accidentally understand that increased GABA levels might be helpful for my problems (physical symptoms, etc.).
So, without getting into the prescription GABA reuptake inhibitors, I thought I'd see how to increase GABA levels with over-the-counter items.
First I read that taking GABA pills does nothing for you because it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. Maybe some of you will disagree, but the logic makes sense that GABA pills won't work. Fair enough. So then I looked into the precursors. I learned that GBL is a precursor to GHB, which in turn, is a precursor to GABA. So then I thought, "OK - I'll just take GBL or GHB". But after doing some research on that, I'm coming across weird things. I didn't see either GBL or GHB in my health food store and on the internet I read about these drugs in articles about illegal street
drug alternatives to X and making GHB in your own meth-type lab with degreasers and other chemicals. Well that's certainly not what I want!
=============================================
Information on the supplemental use of GABA is sparse and contradictory. Part of the reason for this is many studies say that oral GABA cannot pass the blood brain barrier. Other studies say that in large amounts it can (2-5 grams). GABA is make in the brain itself typically. It is a neurotransmitter that is a sedative and its mechanism of action behind many neuroleptic drugs.
As a dietary supplement, GABA is typically promoted to bodybuilders and other athletes as a nutrient to help stimulate secretion of growth hormone, decrease body fat levels and increase lean muscle tissue. The problem, however, is that GABA does not cross the blood-brain barrier, so it can not get into the brain where it is active. A related compound known as GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyric acid) differs from GABA only by substitution of GABA’s amino group with a hydroxyl (OH) group – making GHB able to cross into the brain. As such, products containing GHB have been promoted as supplements to increase growth hormone levels, aid recovery from exercise and promote relaxation and sleep.
GABA and GHB appear to be readily interconvertible in the brain and a number of chemically related compounds, such as GBL (gamma-butyrolactone), BD (1,4-butanediol) and furanone (2,3H-furanone di-hydro) are rapidly converted in the body into GHB.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) consider GHB and related compounds (GBL, BD, furanone) to be dangerous unapproved drugs due to their tendency to cause seizures and other adverse side effects. GABA, however, is classified as an amino acid which is legal for use as a dietary supplement.
Scientific Support The predominant effects of GHB are sedative. At low doses, GHB can relieve anxiety and produce relaxation as the dose increases, however, the sedative effects result in sleep and eventual coma or death. GHB is one of a number of drugs implicated as date rape drugs for its effects as a central nervous system depressant. GHB also stimulates the release of growth hormone from the anterior pituitary gland but no studies have ever shown GHB to result in positive changes in body fat levels, muscle mass or strength. Whether or not GHB works is sort of a moot point as the FDA banned over-the-counter sale of GHB in 1990 but it is still available in various forms (GBL, BD, furanone) in illegal dietary supplements and on the black market.
Although GABA can be converted into GHB in the brain, and both appear to have power actions in certain regions of the brain, it is unclear whether orally administered GABA is converted to GHB. It does appear, however, that pituitary growth hormone release is partly regulated by blood levels of GABA.
In more recent studies (in sheep), intravenous administration of GABA resulted in a rapid increase in plasma GH levels, while direct administration of GABA into the brain produced a significant increase in GH release. In other studies (in mice), increased concentrations of GABA in the systemic circulation have been linked to impaired liver repair.
Studies which have examined glutamate supplements (glutamate can be converted into GABA) in athletes have shown a suppression of serum GH levels during exercise in cyclists receiving glutamate/arginine supplements. Another study found 10 grams of oral glutamic acid to stimulate the secretion some pituitary hormones (prolactin and cortisol), but no effect was seen on GH levels.
GHB-containing products have been associated with a number of adverse side effects related to the dose of GHB. Low doses of GHB (0.5-1.5 grams) typically induce feelings of relaxation similar to mild alcohol intoxication, while medium doses (1-2.5 grams) increase muscle relaxation and cause physical disequilibrium and loss of coordination. High doses of GHB (above 2.5 grams) result in nausea, vomiting, and drowsiness as well as more serious adverse effects such as depressed breathing, bradycardia (slow heart rate), coma, and even death. Alcohol and other drugs with central nervous system depressant effects are known to compound the effect of GHB.
As it is currently promoted, GABA supplements do not appear to be particularly effective in stimulating growth hormone synthesis/secretion or promoting relaxation. The majority of commercially available supplements provide GABA in levels of 250-750mg far below the several grams per dose shown to be effective in influencing growth hormone metabolism.

I believe it may have a few beneficial effects on a cutting diet but for the price it is really not worth the effort.:toilet:

Top Bottom