Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Carao - must read!

SofaGeorge

Several days ago I posted about a plant extract I was taking called carao. I regularly scan the 'net, medlars, medline, physician's PDQ, etc... looking for interesting health related products and substances. A few months ago I stumbled on some striking info on a tree in Central America called carao.

Syrup made from carao had a long folklore history of being an all round health tonic used for increasing "vigor"... and what really caught my eye was that much of the scientific info I could find described it's use as an anti anemic for cattle. It appears to actually have a bit of use in a few local regions to increase size and general health of farm animals. (Hence, I joked to my girlfriend that I had discovered organic fina!)

I got a couple bottles shipped to me. (The stuff was dirt cheap, but I think that reflects the difference in value of the US dollar and the Costa Rican economy.) I started taking carao at the same time I started taking r-ALA... and then later ALA.

Back up to note:

I finished a high dose fina/test/whinny cycle a few months ago. (80mg fina ED/1-2000mg test wk/50mg whinny ED)

Several weeks after finishing my cycle, when my strength should be receeding a bit, I set my personal bet record deadlifting. I actually broke my previous record by 20 lbs. Then, the very next week I repped that weight for 3 sets of 6.

This really caught my attention. I am 43 years old... and had just dropped my body weight from 230-240lbs to 205-208lbs (DNP). I would expect to see some strength decline both from the loss of size and the ending of my cycle... but instead I was at an all time high on all my lifts. (Those that I am not lifting higher... I am at least lifting at my personal best from years ago.)

I wrote to the guy in Costa Rica that I got my carao extract from. This is the letter exchange:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX:

In response to your letter below:

ks> Dear Sir,

ks> I am trying to find out more information about carao, sold by
ks> your company as Mineral Magic. I've only been able to get
ks> limited information translated - much of which seems to focus
ks> on it being used as an anti anemia cure. Can you provide me
ks> with any additional information or links to reference
ks> material that would be printed in English. I am particularly
ks> intereted in any aspects of carao that may induce muscle
ks> growth or strength gains in weight lifting athletes.

I would be glad to give you some more information on our carao extract.

First of all, there is little published information on carao, none that I am aware of in English. However, I have translated and published on our website (www.costa-rica-natural.com) what I believe is the most important article on carao found on the Internet. It reports on a 3-year Nicaraguan-Honduran university study which clearly confirmed that carao has an amazing ability to increase both hemoglobin level and red blood cell count in anemic calves. The really amazing thing is that the dosage was only 150 ml, given only once a week. Even this relatively small amount produced tremendous gains in hemoglobin and red blood cell level in the animals.

I was told by a pharmacist here in Costa Rica many years ago (maybe 15 years ago) that there was a study on carao using human subjects that also confirmed its anti-anemic effect. I have not been able to locate a copy of this study.

We DO have abundant information on carao from Central American folk medicine. In these countries, carao is extremely well known as a natural anti-anemic as well as a food to increase strength and general health. It is definitely recommended here for athletes, as well as children and pregnant women.

Although I do not know of its use here by weight-lifting athletes (I am going to investigate), I HAVE heard several times that it is reputed to increase strength. This may be a result of an increase in the quantity or quality of blood hemoglobin. Since hemoglobin transports oxygen to the cells (including muscle cells), any improvement in oxygen transport could likely increase muscle strength.

Although I am not a weightlifter, from my personal experience with carao I can say that there is certainly a SENSATION of strength gain immediately upon consuming carao. This sensation is shared by everyone I have asked who has taken carao.

For these reasons, we plan to soon describe Mineral Magic carao extract on our website as an "athletic blood builder" as well as a "natural anti-anemic."

I hope this information is of some help.

Sincerely,
Lloyd Standish

President, Standish and Co.
Producers of:
Mineral Magic (tm) Anti-Anemic and Athletic Blood Builder
Natural Cane Syrup and Cane Syrup Candies

The following is a page taken from the companies website. They are a small organic farm operating in Costa Rica.

"Work is love made visible." - The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran
This page is provided for those who care to know something about the ethics and land use practices of those who are producing your food.
We at Standish and Co. (a small family business) strive for the ideal of "ethical agriculture" on our small mountain farm in Costa Rica.
The costa-rica-natural.com website is the work of my father Miles Standish and myself, Lloyd Standish. I have lived in Costa Rica for the last 22 years, and am in charge of production. Working with me in Costa Rica are my 17-year-old son, Miles Standish, Jr., and occasional Costa Rican hired help. My father Miles (Sr.), who lives in the U.S., has for long financed the development of the various natural products offered on the website. He is also in charge of web site design and maintenance, and sage advice.
Photos of each of us are found here.
The farm project in Costa Rica reflects our desire to achieve food production in relative harmony with nature and her delicate ecosystems, which are particularly robust and delicate in the tropics. This has been achieved in various ways:

A relatively large area of the land is set aside as absolute nature preserve. It is home to many wild animals, including beautiful birds and several species of monkeys. (So you want to visit? Email me.)

Strictly organic methods are used.

Only perennial crops are produced on commercial scale, since regular cultivation of the soil produces much erosion and fertility loss in the tropics, especially on slopes. Therefore, the primary crop (interplanted with wild trees and fruit trees) is sugarcane, a perennial grass which produces abundantly for at least 50 years if managed properly. This "polyculture of perennials" is a "sustainable agriculture" which avoids soil erosion completely and provides some wildlife habitat.

Our sugarcane plantings are relatively small (1-2 hectares), and surrounded by areas of wild forest.

An effort is made to use environmentally-friendly, "appropriate technology" where possible. For example, evaporation of the sugarcane juice for making the natural cane syrup is done in large steel vats heated by firewood. In order to reduce the consumption of firewood (and thus the cutting of trees) as well as achieve better syrup quality, the final "semi-syrup" stage of evaporation is done in a solar evaporator. I hope to eventually do essentially ALL evaporation of the juice with solar energy, and have made a preliminary design of a large-scale evaporator for this purpose.
THOUGHTS ON MINERAL MAGIC TM SUPPLEMENT

I believe the Mineral Magic TM carao extract is my most important project of the last 22 years, in terms of both environmental protection and health benefit to people. The fact that this wild tree produces a fruit with such an amazing anti-anemic and blood-building effect will cause many people to recognize the vast, relatively untapped potential of forest trees as a source of valuable health products. Of course, I would prefer that forests be preserved for their own sake, rather than because they hold potential benefit to humans.
I believe that the development of modern chemical agriculture has brought an epidemic of mineral starvation in our population. It was demonstrated decades ago (I will later publish a bibliography on this website) that food produced using chemical fertilizers has but a small fraction of the normal content of minerals. Chronic mineral starvation has produced the narrow faces, undeveloped "dental arches," and often narrow bones characteristic of modern civilized man.
I believe that the carao extract found in our product is one of the most potent and effective natural sources of the minerals lacking in civilized diet. The roots of the magnificent carao tree penetrate deep into the subsoil, locating minerals even on land whose topsoil may be relatively mineral deficient.
I have long been interested in non-chemical agriculture and the issue of "mineral starvation" provoked by modern agriculture. I have also long been interested in tree crops and their possible role in sustainable agriculture. Forest protection is of great importance to me, as is natural healing through nutrition and raw foods. The carao project brings together these lifelong interests and ideals. It is greatly satisfying to be involved in creating a natural, forest product of such outstanding health benefit.
Although carao has long been recognized and highly esteemed in Latin American traditional medicine, to my knowledge ours is the first and only mineral supplement based on carao available outside Latin America. In addition, it is the only raw carao extract I have ever seen - we "invented" the raw extraction process! It is also of higher concentration than any other.
I would be glad to correspond with those who may have ideas or suggestions for promoting the awareness of carao or other health products derived from forest fruits.
Lloyd Standish
Standish and Co.
[email protected]

Interesting..good job with the research. Still thinking about wether or not to give that stuff a try, I wanna hear a couple other testimonials.

Greek Freak said:
Interesting..good job with the research. Still thinking about wether or not to give that stuff a try, I wanna hear a couple other testimonials.

I don't think we are going to get any. I posted on a few sites to see if I could get any other people's experiences. So far I haven't even been able to find anyone else who has heard of the stuff... let alone tried it.

I'm going to get a several bottles and give a few to some power-lifter friends at Gold's Venice. They are all older long time lifters who aren't going to see much real change in their lifts at this point. They are also all life time natural lifters. If I see them getting a boost on their dead-lifts I'll be convinced.

I get a strength boost from sustanon and d-bol just from the extra water I carry... aside from the strength boost I get from the juice. On anavar I get a strength boost without any water. With carao... I definitely see my strength up... but I also jumped up about 3 lbs in weight (hard to be sure) but the extra weight doesn't look like water gain. I'm still tight.

My neighbor is a former pro bike racer (coached Lance Armstrong.) His theory is this may be a bit like blood doping. It raises the hemoglobin... hence raising strength and endurance.

I can't use creatine because even though I get a definite strength gain from it... I also get major cramping and then muscle pulls. I am definitely not getting any cramping or any of the early warning signs of cramping on this stuff. I'm just getting the strength boost.

The strength boost doesn't seem to be cummulative either. I'm not going up every work out like you do on a juice cycle. I got a sudden jump up... and I am holding there. It's cool... but I am used to juice where you go up week after week after week. It's fun on d-bol to go up 5-10 lbs a week on your bench.

I'll know more in a month is the strength holds or goes up or down.

Bump.

Come on. Somebody else has got to have tried this stuff. I can't be the only one in the world to ever hear about it.

Sorry, first for me too -- I'll bump again though. Sounds pretty interesting... Keep us up to date on the the trials with the powerlifters...

Yea, I am coming off right now..so maybe I will give that stuff a try since it worked so well for you. Can you post the website again. Thanks.

Greek Freak said:
Yea, I am coming off right now..so maybe I will give that stuff a try since it worked so well for you. Can you post the website again. Thanks.

This is where I got mine.

www.costa-rica-natural.com

There may be other sites that sell it. (Hell, there may be a lot of other sites that sell it!) But this was the only one I could find in English. (Post up if you find any others.)

I phoned a friend of mine in the mailorder health supplement business about an hour ago. His company introduced DHEA, Pregnenalone, and a bunch of other original substances. I figured he would be the best resource for possible info. He said he's never heard of this... and he gets offered everything new by the different reps. He has a researcher who is fluent in Spanish... so he is going to have the guy look into it further.

Just ordered two bottles, going to start as soon as it gets here. I just ended a ten week cycle last week. Going to be running clomid, ldex, cell tech, glutamine, and now carao for post cycle. Ill post results.

SofaGeorge: What dosage per day were you using?

Im definetly interested, but im just wondering if these increases are only short term due to the increase in hemoglobin. Ie, when you stop using the carao you return to normal. Whats your take on this and have you stopped using it for any periods of time to test its permanance. Either way, ill probably be trying this sometime soon.

Yossarian2000 said:
Just ordered two bottles, going to start as soon as it gets here. I just ended a ten week cycle last week. Going to be running clomid, ldex, cell tech, glutamine, and now carao for post cycle. Ill post results.

SofaGeorge: What dosage per day were you using?

It's going to be interesting to see how well you hold your strength or make gains. For me the gains seemed to come in a sudden leap.

I wish I could give you a "correct" doseage. I don't really think one is established. I've been taking about a tablespoon twice a day... which may be too much or too little.

The stuff actually tastes good... kind of like carob.

Top Bottom