Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Some thoughts on the BENTOVER ROW

Vortexx

Lately I have been focussing on the bentover row in quest for thicker lower traps and thickness on the lats, and even some wider lower lats as a bonus.....

I studied and experimented with the motion (grips, angle, speed, Yates style, perpendicular to the floor style etc..).

What I learned was that there are many variations but some seem to be more effective than others. Maybe it has to do with individual biomechanics, but here are my TWO favourite variations and I tell you Why:

BUILDING THE LOWER TRAPS:
- wide grip
- torso at approx. 60 degrees angle
- pull bar to lower pecs
- force yourself to keep shoulders down
- hold the peak contraction for 2 seconds

BUILDING THICK LATS AND WIDER LOWER LATS:
- slightly within shoulderwidth grip
- Yates style, torso at 80 degrees angle
- pull bar to lower abs
- force yourself to keep shoulders down
- power movement, dont hold the peak, just apply heavy weight
- Alternate each workout with overhand or reverse grip

Generally , the closer the grip, the more biceps involvement and the more upright the torso the more weight you can use... Thats why we choose to build thick lats and wider lower lats with heavy weight, a continuous explosive motion, a close grip and an allmost upright torso, all to promote to use maximum weight.

However if we want to build the lower traps we have to lean more forward to feel them work agains gravity. But the more you lean forward the more weight you have to sacrifice. I feel that 60 degrees has a better weight used / intensity applied to muscle ratio than torso perpendicular to the floor. Ok since we are sacrificing some weight in order to target the lower traps we must use some techniques to isolate them even more to up localized intensity onto the lower traps...
That's why I choose to hold the peak contraction, to develop the neural pathways to feel the traps , teres , romboids and rear delts working induvidually. also the wider grip takes out more biceps thereby forcing you to pull from the back muscles.....

Also the more you lean forward the more the lower back is stressed and this one more reason to use apply these techniques that render good results from using a relatively light weight...

The Yates style however is pretty stable and you should focus to add some plates to the bar in a the course of a few months....

Doing the both variations described above, along with chins and deadlifts, will cover a lot of terrain.....

Regard the 2 bentover row styles as mandatory for each wotkout and every workout choose one of the following rowing movements to surprise your back muscles:
- t-bar row
- one-arm dumbell row
- hammer row machine
- seated pulley row

Very nice...

As a PL, I train this in the bench plane (reverse grip and in the same line as where I bench) to build the lats for benching. It works!

Top Bottom