Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Public school to boarding school transition

mylife said:
right, right. his academics are subpar so he couldn't get accepted to the more prestigious schools. his problem, like 80% of high school kids, is ambition. once he's placed in an environment that pushes him along i'm hoping he'll realize how privileged he is for the oppurtunity.

do you know anything about the "post-graduate" year? is that just a scam to milk another 30k out of parents?

totally depends. Most PGs are

1. athletes with low board scores /non qualifiers

2. athletes not quite ready for college (sports wise) but for whom another year will get them there (me :) - I was a PG...graduated HS at 16 and needed to grow to play college basketball, it workde out OK)

3. Hockey players - boarding schools in the NE have great hockey teams

4. academic delinquents who need a year of good academic performance to get into a decent school, and they need a structured environment.

if your bro is one of these, then no, it is not a scam.

samoth said:
Make sure the school is a feeder for a couple Ivys. Watch out for the grade deflation, too.

:cow:

KUA is not reputed as a feeder for Ivy's, but it is a better entrance to elite northeast universities than a public school by a mile.

mylife,

I liked it for a few reasons, and not just the 17 year old soccer player girlfriend I made the first month....though that helped.

On a serious note, it's an environment (at least mine was) that allows you to be yourself, it;s not the typical academic structure - you have a lot of time to do other stuff.

And because you live with your classmates, you can't have a 'school act' and a 'home act'. Layers of bullshit get peeled away and you find your identity.

After my year at boarding school, I went away to college and was far more prepared for it. I may have been too prepared; college was still full of children trying to find their way.

samoth said:
Make sure the school is a feeder for a couple Ivys. Watch out for the grade deflation, too.

:cow:

like matt said, it's not known as an ivy feeder but it's a gateway to better oppurtunities he'll have at home.

are you familiar with the Culver institute in indiana? i was supposed to go there in 4th grade but cried like a little bitch til i got my way :rolleyes:

Top Bottom