Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

PS3 has apparently surpassed Xbox 360's install base

hanselthecaretaker

High End Bro
Platinum
Strategy Analytics said that the installed base of PS3s reached 43.4 million units by the end of last year, ahead of 42.9 million units for the Xbox 360. Nintendo's Wii is still the leader of the pack with 75.5 million shipped consoles.

“While the Kinect peripheral has given a boost to Microsoft’s Xbox 360 strategy, the console’s performance outside of the US continues to disappoint,” says report author, Jia Wu, Senior Analyst in Strategy Analytics’ Digital Consumer Practice. “Global demand for Sony’s PS3 has exceeded that of the Xbox 360 in each of the past two years, and we expect that to continue over the coming years.”

The analyst also noted that Nintendo will be releasing a new Wii within one year in an effort to support its sales. The Xbox 360 is expected to sell 13.7 million units this year, the PS3 should be in the range of 15.7 million, while the Wii will drop below 10 million, Strategy Analytics said.

“Microsoft’s second generation console has dramatically improved the company’s position in the digital home,” notes David Mercer, Principal Analyst at Strategy Analytics. “But its relative weakness in Europe and Asia acts as a drag on its global performance. Microsoft should continue to innovate around its motion sensor technology, which will become increasingly relevant in the smart home era.”

PlayStation 3 Shipments Exceed Xbox 360

Considering how fast Kinect was selling this past holiday season I would've never guessed this would've happened this soon. Shows how misleading Microsoft PR can be.

With Sony projected to continue outpacing Microsoft from here on out, we can probably expect a new Xbox well before another Playstation. Hopefully they put a few bucks more into R&D vs. marketing this time around.

Not to mention making a machine that works without overheating like an overaged mule. What a pain in the ass that is.

I heard that the MS numbers were pretty bad outside of the US. However, I didn't realize that the difference was that much.

With the current level of tech employed in consoles I don't see a reason to own 1 when pc games offer far higher visual fidelity and improved controls via mouse and keyboard.

I was an avid console player and owned the atarri 2600, nes, snes, gamecube, nintendo 64, sega, ps2, and currently own a wii surprisingly even though I never play it.

Got my first taste of pc gaming back in 2000-2001 if I remember right with Aliens vs Predator on the pc and was blown away and never looked back.

I think with high definition tv's becoming more reasonable in price that if the next generation of consoles can offer the performance of what pc games are capable of now that consoles will start to have something to offer to pc gamers like me.

Granted, alot of us pc gamers have to stay updated every year on tech to play the newest graphics hog game, but I tell you it's worth it if you're a serious gamer=major hobby.

Check this link out. This is what pc games will look like while playing them, not just cut scenes, within the next couple of years and probably consoles 2 generations from now(7-10 years)

Epic's Unreal Engine 3 tech demo in HD - Eurogamer Videos | Eurogamer.net.

If this doesn't impress you just compare it to a high def video of Halo: Reach to get a better idea of just how much more detail and lighting/shadow is going on in that.

With the current level of tech employed in consoles I don't see a reason to own 1 when pc games offer far higher visual fidelity and improved controls via mouse and keyboard.

I was an avid console player and owned the atarri 2600, nes, snes, gamecube, nintendo 64, sega, ps2, and currently own a wii surprisingly even though I never play it.

Got my first taste of pc gaming back in 2000-2001 if I remember right with Aliens vs Predator on the pc and was blown away and never looked back.

I think with high definition tv's becoming more reasonable in price that if the next generation of consoles can offer the performance of what pc games are capable of now that consoles will start to have something to offer to pc gamers like me.

Granted, alot of us pc gamers have to stay updated every year on tech to play the newest graphics hog game, but I tell you it's worth it if you're a serious gamer=major hobby.

Check this link out. This is what pc games will look like while playing them, not just cut scenes, within the next couple of years and probably consoles 2 generations from now(7-10 years)

If this doesn't impress you just compare it to a high def video of Halo: Reach to get a better idea of just how much more detail and lighting/shadow is going on in that.
Consoles are the future, regardless of whether or not that is fair. PC gaming has been slowly dying, and will continue to do so.

I like my Wii, don't use the the PS3 much.
The Xbox games seemed similar to the Ps3 games when I looked at them quickly.
I'd like Nintendo to just release all their games NES and SNES with better graphics/sound.
I just want games without a million buttons, but still takes time and skill to play. I'm not into the whole motion thing either.

I agree that PC gaming is generally ahead of the curve, but next gen consoles will easily be able to outdo what was shown there.
Aside from that being only a tech demo, consoles are already capable of lighting/shadowing close to that (Central Station level from Crysis 2 for example), and post processing effects such as Bokeh DoF are already being done in Crysis 2 as well.

Epic is getting annoying to be honest. They've been releasing fancy tech demos for years now but have yet to make a game that's anywhere close to them. The worst part is they have the nerve to tell other developers that that's what they should be aiming for next gen. Funny, because even with their latest demo they still can't seem to make a skin texture that doesn't look like plastic.

Top Bottom