Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Powerlifting vs BodyBuilding

What do you prefer

• Powerlifting Style Routines

Votes: 103 72.0%
  • Bodybuilding Style Routines

Votes: 40 28.0%

• Total voters
I think the two compliment each other. It depends what you want though. Bodybuilding excels at building muscle and an pleasant balanced looking physique, you will gain some strength as you build muscle. that being said optimal strength will not be reached with bodybuilding alone. Powerlifting is best for building absolute brute strength. Bodybuilding training lacks the intensity level (% of max weight lifted) to enhance motor unit recruitment, and CNS development, which are needed for peak strength.

I couldn't agree more that you should mix the both together if you want to really make the best gains.
I mainly use powerlifting to push me to a new weight set, (you have to tell your slow twitch muscles whats up).
However, I do happen to train my Bicepts in more of a BB approach since I use them a lot on my heavy bent over rows.
(I'm only at 120lb dumbels for reps of six, trying to get back to 150lb for x5)... And I do only work out these muscle groups once a week.
I also train my inner thighs/groin area and outer with lighter weight as well as my hamstrings on leg days on more of a bb approach.

I do notice that medium weight with a squeeze gets the best pumps for me. However, heavy weight with a rep 4-6 where the 6th is borderline failure
always gives me the best sore as hell but i know your getting bigger feeling. (I always try to mix these styles up)

I tried just the BB approach at 160lb but got stuck at 180lb two years later.
I switched to incorporating the power lifting approach and peaked out again at 210lb after another 2 years.
Granted I have a large frame for only being 5'9.. ( measuring your wrist circumfrence, ankle circumfrence, height etc into a formula)

so as stated you really need both, as well as listening to your body to get the best gains for that day.

Because I don't see whats wrong with looking big and lifting big : )

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more that you should mix the both together if you want to really make the best gains.
I mainly use powerlifting to push me to a new weight set, (you have to tell your slow twitch muscles whats up).
However, I do happen to train my Bicepts in more of a BB approach since I use them a lot on my heavy bent over rows.
(I'm only at 120lb dumbels for reps of six, trying to get back to 150lb for x5)... And I do only work out these muscle groups once a week.
I also train my inner thighs/groin area and outer with lighter weight as well as my hamstrings on leg days on more of a bb approach.

I do notice that medium weight with a squeeze gets the best pumps for me. However, heavy weight with a rep 4-6 where the 6th is borderline failure
always gives me the best sore as hell but i know your getting bigger feeling. (I always try to mix these styles up)

I tried just the BB approach at 160lb but got stuck at 180lb two years later.
I switched to incorporating the power lifting approach and peaked out again at 210lb after another 2 years.
Granted I have a large frame for only being 5'9.. ( measuring your wrist circumfrence, ankle circumfrence, height etc into a formula)

so as stated you really need both, as well as listening to your body to get the best gains for that day.

Because I don't see whats wrong with looking big and lifting big : )

Quick tip for you, hamstrings contain mostly fast twitch type IIb muscle fibres so they respond well to heavier weight and lower reps.

I also agree about mixing it up, there are other reasons for doing this other than the sake of variety. both styles of training target different muscle fibres, in my opinion; to maximize your full muscle building potential it is necessary to try bb routines and powerlifting either in the same workout or separately

You could develop more on certain routines, types of exercise and volume, but sometimes it's a mattter of personal preference and of what your goals are.

Top Bottom