Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Mike Matarazzo passed away today - Very sad news!

Liquid 2009

Platinum
Extremely sad news - Mike Matarazzo passed away today. I heard the news from a good friend of mine and Mike's, Mel Chancey they were friends for over 20 years.

Great guy! He will be hugely missed.

Here is a quote from Shawn Ray:

MIKE MATARAZZO: RIP
Sad to say goodbye so soon!
One of the true hardcore Bodybuilders who never forgot where he came from or who he was.
He would always start out by saying, "My Father this or my Father that" which spoke volumes to how much he thought of his father and now he's reunited with.
While I feel sad for the family I feel grateful to have known Mike and the kind of person he was. This selfishly sucks but man he he made a life out of this sport, saw the world, inspired many and became known all over the world based on his blue collar no BS Training.

Iron Mike may you rest in peace and give your father a big hug for me, it's the one thing I long for and look forward to with my dad.
You will always be Remembered by those who knew you because we simply can never forget you.

SRay & Family​

Mike Matarazzo who died last night (August 16) was one of the most popular and likeable bodybuilders the sport has known. But his biggest fan was his father who came to see him compete at many shows. I can’t think of a more visible father-son relationship in bodybuilding.

MIKE MATARAZZO SR., died on Sunday, August 17, 2003 in Winchester, Massachusetts, at age 71 after a long illness. The elder Matarazzo, was a Korean War veteran, but due to his illness had not been able to attend any of Mike’s contests since 1997. I spoke with Mike Jr. via phone three days after his father's death, and what he told me, tells you a lot about his dad but also exemplifies what type of man Mike Jr. was.

"You'll never believe where I am at this moment. I'm in my father's den sitting at his desk, which has a stack of FLEX magazines on it. He used to flip through them all the time. He loved the sport. When I turned pro [by winning the 1991 NPC USA overall title], my career and bodybuilding became his main interest. He loved coming to the contests and talking to all the guys. He used to get a big kick by showing fans his calves [they were huge], and they'd take pictures of them. I'd just like to thank those fans, my fellow bodybuilders and all the people at shows for making him feel special every time he went to a contest. Thanks for including my father as part of a sport that I consider the best in the world.

"He was a father, big brother and best friend all rolled into one to me. When I first started lifting weights, a lot of people told me I was wasting my time, but my dad was incredibly supportive. He paid for my first year's membership at Galaxy Gym. He'd be constantly encouraging me, asking what my next contest was, how many photo shoots I had lined up, when my next article was coming out. He was my biggest fan and supporter. So all that is gone now, because we shared everything.

"My father had been ill for about 11 years and got progressively worse. He passed away in his sleep. My mother said that all the stress and pain that had been in his face for years was gone. He just looked relaxed--at peace. So I know he's now in a better place."
And now the son joins the father.

Very sad. The guy had freaky arms and calves and a ton of charisma on stage. Like Rick Rock mentioned he suffered a heart attack years ago and had to give up lifting and was doing just cardio work. Very sad news.

Very sad. The guy had freaky arms and calves and a ton of charisma on stage. Like Rick Rock mentioned he suffered a heart attack years ago and had to give up lifting and was doing just cardio work. Very sad news.

I liked Mike very well,,nice man and athlete. Sad to see him go at such a young age.
His family has had a lot of heart related issues.

Top Bottom