Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Joan baez and me

RonPrice

More than three years ago a film was released on the life of Joan Baez(1941- ). How Sweet the Sound came to television today in Tasmania.1 She rose to fame in 1959 when I was 15, and she only 19. I was a person of fame, too, but only in a little town in Ontario, and nowhere else. Her first major performance was at the Newport Folk Festival, the same year I joined the Baha’i Faith. Baez was a Quaker and a pacifist. I am not a pacifist and our forms of social activism are very different. I have always loved her singing from her first albums which appeared in 1960, 1961, and 1962 when I was finishing high school.

In 1962, when I began my travelling-pioneering life for the Canadian Baha’i community, Baez had just begun her 2 year romance with Bob Dylan. I had no idea at the time immersed as I was in nine grade 13 subjects with their necessary four hours per night homework. The year 1962 also saw my final baseball and ice-hockey seasons with the Burlington all-stars and in the juvenile league. I was involved in a new Baha’i community, and was kept busy emotionally in keeping a lid on my libido. -Ron Price with thanks to 1ABC1 TV, 3:00 to 4:30 p.m., 7/4/’13.

We have a lot in common, Joan,
you and I, as we head into that
final decade of late adulthood.1

We have an autobiographical
bias to our writing……In 1987
you said: “I was made to live
alone.”2 As the years went on
I felt, increasingly, the same.

We both had a public life for
half a century…..and you are
still going, Joan, while I have
retired into a writing life and
little public activity……few of
endless meetings, wall-to-wall
people, and none of the social
protest-popularity profile for
which you will go down in history.

I wish you well, Joan, as evening
continues to the last syllable of
our recorded time on this plain,
and we go into a hole for those
who sing and speak no more:
what say you, Joan, of the life
beyond, that new & Undiscovered
Country from which noone returns.

1 Baez is 72 and I am 69. Some developmental psychologists call the years from 70 to 80, the last decade of late adulthood.
2 Baez’s second autobiography was entitled: And a Voice to Sing With. Mine is entitled Pioneering Over Five Epochs.

Ron Price
7/4/’13.

Top Bottom