Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Good bye C-murder you sorry piece of Sh*T!!

S

shrimp poboy

Site SearchSearch Local Business Listings Brought to you by:
Home News Weather Sports Entertainment Living Interact Jobs Autos Real Estate Classifieds Place an Ad
NewsCrimeLa. PoliticsEducationElectionsOpinionsBusinessNorthshoreVideos & PhotosObituariesKatrina Archive

NEW ORLEANS METRO REAL-TIME NEWS
Breaking Local News from New Orleans, LouisianaC-Murder guilty of second-degree murder after topsy-turvy jury action
by Paul Purpura and C.J. Lin, The Times-Picayune
Tuesday August 11, 2009, 2:40 PM

Corey "C-Murder" Miller was found guilty of second-degree murder Tuesday afternoon by a Jefferson Parish jury, and this time the verdict will stand.

Susan Poag / The Times-Picayune
Gordon Winter, 9, nephew of Corey 'C-Murder' Miller, listens while family members talk to reporters about the guilty verdict Tuesday outside the Jefferson Parish Courthouse in Gretna.

See all of today's C-Murder trial photos

The jury went out with instructions from Judge Hans Liljeberg on Monday at 11:20 a.m. and returned with a verdict more than 24 hours later after spending Monday night sequestered in a motel.

Miller, 38, was accused of killing Steve Thomas, 16, inside the now-closed Platinum Club in Harvey early on the morning of Jan. 12, 2002.

Steve Thomas
At least 15 police officers were in the room when the verdict was announced. At the defense's request, the jury was polled and the vote was revealed to be 10-2 in favor of conviction. Ten of 12 votes are required for a second-degree murder conviction.

Unlike earlier today, Liljeberg said the verdict is a legal one.

"The court finds that this is indeed a legal verdict," he said.

"I know this was a tough case," Liljeberg added.

Miller faces a mandatory life sentence in prison. The court will return Friday morning, when a date will be set for the sentencing hearing.

"Thank God it's all over," Dolores Thomas, the victim's mother, said after the verdict was announced. "Now we can rest, and my baby, too."

Miller's family was outspoken in its reaction to the verdict.

His sister, Germany Miller, was screaming outside the parish courthouse in Gretna after the verdict came down, yelling that Jefferson Parish is corrupt.

"Corey did not kill that boy," said Maxine Miller, his grandmother. "I raised all my children in church. They want to treat them like criminals. ..."

"The jurors didn't do right," she added.

The verdict came about 1:40 p.m., after a confusing morning when the jury returned to the courtroom just before 11 a.m. with a guilty verdict. However, Liljeberg said that verdict was invalid because he believed one juror may have changed his or her vote just to end the deliberations. He sent the jurors back for more deliberations.

The court returned for a short session around 11:20 a.m., during which defense attorney Ron Rakosky moved for a mistrial, saying that Liljeberg had pressured the jury into reaching a verdict. Liljeberg denied the motion.

"I don't think I pressured them at all," Liljeberg said.

Earlier today, jurors complained about one member of the jury who was sleeping during some of the deliberations and was quoting from the Bible at other times. She asked to be excused from the jury, but Liljeberg denied her request.

It is not clear if that is the same juror that Liljeberg says may have changed her vote under duress.

The jury had four choices: not guilty; guilty of second-degree murder; guilty of manslaughter, which carries up to 40 years in prison; and guilty of negligent homicide, which has a sentence of up to five years in prison.

The jury of seven women and five men heard from 17 witnesses over three days.

The defense rested Friday afternoon, and court resumed Monday at 9 a.m. with a motion for a mistrial, which Liljeberg denied. After closing arguments from both sides, Liljeberg instructed the jury before deliberations began. After nine hours of deliberations Monday, the jury was sequestered in a West Bank motel before resuming deliberations this morning.

Miller had previously been convicted of second-degree murder in the Thomas shooting, but that conviction was thrown out, leading to the retrial. In May, he pleaded no contest to two counts of attempted second-degree murder in a Baton Rouge case under a plea deal.

Home News Weather Sports Entertainment Living Interact Jobs Autos Real Estate Classifieds Place an Ad
NewsCrimeLa. PoliticsEducationElectionsOpinionsBusinessNorthshoreVideos & PhotosObituariesKatrina Archive

Breaking Local News from New Orleans, LouisianaC-Murder guilty of second-degree murder after topsy-turvy jury action

Corey "C-Murder" Miller was found guilty of second-degree murder Tuesday afternoon by a Jefferson Parish jury, and this time the verdict will stand.

Gordon Winter, 9, nephew of Corey 'C-Murder' Miller, listens while family members talk to reporters about the guilty verdict Tuesday outside the Jefferson Parish Courthouse in Gretna.

The jury went out with instructions from Judge Hans Liljeberg on Monday at 11:20 a.m. and returned with a verdict more than 24 hours later after spending Monday night sequestered in a motel.

Miller, 38, was accused of killing Steve Thomas, 16, inside the now-closed Platinum Club in Harvey early on the morning of Jan. 12, 2002.

Steve Thomas
At least 15 police officers were in the room when the verdict was announced. At the defense's request, the jury was polled and the vote was revealed to be 10-2 in favor of conviction. Ten of 12 votes are required for a second-degree murder conviction.

Miller faces a mandatory life sentence in prison. The court will return Friday morning, when a date will be set for the sentencing hearing.

"Thank God it's all over," Dolores Thomas, the victim's mother, said after the verdict was announced. "Now we can rest, and my baby, too."

His sister, Germany Miller, was screaming outside the parish courthouse in Gretna after the verdict came down, yelling that Jefferson Parish is corrupt.

"Corey did not kill that boy," said Maxine Miller, his grandmother. "I raised all my children in church. They want to treat them like criminals. ..."

The verdict came about 1:40 p.m., after a confusing morning when the jury returned to the courtroom just before 11 a.m. with a guilty verdict. However, Liljeberg said that verdict was invalid because he believed one juror may have changed his or her vote just to end the deliberations. He sent the jurors back for more deliberations.

The court returned for a short session around 11:20 a.m., during which defense attorney Ron Rakosky moved for a mistrial, saying that Liljeberg had pressured the jury into reaching a verdict. Liljeberg denied the motion.

Earlier today, jurors complained about one member of the jury who was sleeping during some of the deliberations and was quoting from the Bible at other times. She asked to be excused from the jury, but Liljeberg denied her request.

It is not clear if that is the same juror that Liljeberg says may have changed her vote under duress.

The jury had four choices: not guilty; guilty of second-degree murder; guilty of manslaughter, which carries up to 40 years in prison; and guilty of negligent homicide, which has a sentence of up to five years in prison.

The defense rested Friday afternoon, and court resumed Monday at 9 a.m. with a motion for a mistrial, which Liljeberg denied. After closing arguments from both sides, Liljeberg instructed the jury before deliberations began. After nine hours of deliberations Monday, the jury was sequestered in a West Bank motel before resuming deliberations this morning.

Miller had previously been convicted of second-degree murder in the Thomas shooting, but that conviction was thrown out, leading to the retrial. In May, he pleaded no contest to two counts of attempted second-degree murder in a Baton Rouge case under a plea deal.

Steve Thomas

Send To A Friend | Print this | Permalink
Reddit Digg del.icio.us Google Facebook Buzz up! (1)
COMMENTS (190)Post a comment
Posted by Bortson on 08/11/09 at 1:46PM
Sad, no pathetic, that someone who didnt take their job seriously as a juror could wind up throwing this case back to another jury on appeal.

Come on dude/lady, its a murder trial, not a time share sales pitch.

Inappropriate?
Sad, no pathetic, that someone who didnt take their job seriously as a juror could wind up throwing this case back to another jury on appeal.

Inappropriate?

Inappropriate?

i liked his music though man, this case has been dragging on for 7 years now. did you watch the news and see his sister flipping out?! ha it was ridiculous. like she didnt think he was gunna get convicted...

i liked his music though man, this case has been dragging on for 7 years now. did you watch the news and see his sister flipping out?! ha it was ridiculous. like she didnt think he was gunna get convicted...

TNB bro....

haha loser have fun in prison
check out the same moron shooting up another club cause they wanted to search him
coward

it looks like him and he was wearing a saints jersey but are you sure its him?

court evidence for a case that he faces ten years on and was already convicted.
awaiting sentencing, completely different that this case.

Doesn't really matter if the video identifies him as evidence ALONE as long as there are numerous individuals that identified him as the shooter that night. THEN the video will coraborate what each witness testifies to.

ya but that vid that posted has nothing to do with the case that he was just convicted on and will get life for. the shooting in the video doesnt even really matter now

Top Bottom