Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

bar position for GM's

GR8SCOT

Heyas
was doing good mornings last night and i struggled to find a comfortable bar position. I started out with the bar similar to where i squat (low on the traps) but it felt like it was going to slip forward into the back of my head at the lowest position, then i tried it high up on my neck and it sure felt a lot heavier when i tried to GM it, but also felt like it would snap my neck.

Help !

Also ive tried widening my grip on squats to get around this niggling bicep tendonitis but once again it feels like the bar is slipping and i concentrate more on holding the bar than squating the weight.

there should be a groove that is right below the trap but on top of the rear delt. try pulling the bar through you and that will help kepp it where it is and not slide.

DON'T PUT IT ON YOUR NECK. This will cause the vertabrae to get unaligned. You don't want this, it can crack your vertabrae. Also, don't put it on the little bump in your neck, the vertabrae that sticks out, t3(I think). This can cause similar problems. Different gm require different placement. Some in squat placement, some higher on traps, and some lower on back. It just depends. Whenever you do gm's or squats you should try to break the bar across your back. This will keep the bar in position.

GR8SCOT, my suggestion is to get someone to stand behind you with his hands also gripping the bar. When you bend forward, this guy should start applying backwards rotational pressure on the bar (kinda like working the throttle on a motor cycle) and then gradually ease up again as you start rising from the bottom, ensuring that the bar stays in place.

Over a period of time you will get so accustomed to GMs that your spotter will have to rotate the bar back less and less until you can eventually do it alone without the bar moving forward at all.

I did a deep 505lb for 3 this week and my partner remarked afterwards that my hands were not even gripping the bar but were just resting on top of the it. I did not notice it while doing the movement but it just goes to show you that GMs can become just as comfortable as squats once you learn the proper groove, even when nobody is touching the bar.

Top Bottom