Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Are the best things in life free

I say yes. Without peace, one has nothing.

I think money can magnify the joy thats already inside, but it can't give you something that wasnt there to begin with.

From personal experience, money helps a lot.

This year, thanks to luck and a small amount of skill on my part I will more than quadruple my 2003 income (which was barely enough to get by on), and it will grow even more in future years. I'm not saying this to brag, but to illustrate a point -- I've been poor before and it sucks. It's horrible. Having a great family, great friends, and a rewarding spiritual life means very little when you live paycheck to paycheck.

I won't lie, money is great. I love having money, but mostly I love the stability and relief it provides. I can do big things now that I could never afford to do before, and that's great, but it's the little things that make the biggest difference. I can see two movies a week now. I can eat out whenever I want. I can fill my car with premium gas. I can buy decent clothes. lol In short, I can spend money and not feel guilty or worry about it. My life isn't exponentially better now that I'm making a decent amount of cash, but it's much, much easier and less stressful.

(and god help me, I caught myself daydreaming about a BMW the other day) :verygood: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
nordstrom said:
I dont agree with that. Good relationships with the community, self, family, friends, religion are not relative to money.

Personal growth and a sense of meaning and helping others are not tied into money either.
If you believe Freud's and perhaps Jung's theories of psychoanalysis, you might conclude that extrinsic goals are less direct methods of fulfilling intrinsic goals. How "intrinsic" do you want to go, and isn't interpretation and perception important in defining what exactly are the goals?

Nietzsche seems to always comment that one of the most common mistakes people make is forgetting what exactly they set out to do. For instance, what if you set out to obtain a sexual relationship, which leads you to attempt to get rich, which leads you into the academic world, and finally you begin to care about both making money and improving your reputation through better research and instruction of students? You will have forgotten your initial goal: obtaining a sexual relationship.

All goals should rationally be intrinsic. I think that if you can keep your perspective and be controlled by the initial objects of your internal desires instead of subsequent diversions, you will reap many benefits.

Taps said:
From personal experience, money helps a lot.

This year, thanks to luck and a small amount of skill on my part I will more than quadruple my 2003 income (which was barely enough to get by on), and it will grow even more in future years. I'm not saying this to brag, but to illustrate a point -- I've been poor before and it sucks. It's horrible. Having a great family, great friends, and a rewarding spiritual life means very little when you live paycheck to paycheck.

I won't lie, money is great. I love having money, but mostly I love the stability and relief it provides. I can do big things now that I could never afford to do before, and that's great, but it's the little things that make the biggest difference. I can see two movies a week now. I can eat out whenever I want. I can fill my car with premium gas. I can buy decent clothes. lol In short, I can spend money and not feel guilty or worry about it. My life isn't exponentially better now that I'm making a decent amount of cash, but it's much, much easier and less stressful.

(and god help me, I caught myself daydreaming about a BMW the other day) :verygood: :rolleyes:

Even the book, which was biased, said having money was necessary for mental health. It just said that after a point where you can provide for your basic needs money stopped mattering. If you go from 15k-30k a year you will get major changes, but going from 30k-90k will bring only minor changes.

Its probably the same with being attractive, there is a difference between going from ugly/forgettable to attractive, but beyond that not much more of a difference.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly comfortable making 30-40K/year. Heck, most people would be greatful for a job with that salary range.

Then again, income can be seen as a reflection of a persons value. If a company is willing to pay you $120,000/year, thats one hell of a compliment to your abilites (not to mention a great ego boost).

I only agree within reason. Here in the US individuals with a 1 year vocational degree who join labor unions make around $25-35 an hour (electrician, carpenter, HVAC, plumbing, etc) while people working on graduate degrees can expect to earn around $8/hr if they do research and teaching at the university level.

Top Bottom