Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sunday is P.R. Day!!!

benchmonster

Sunday at the Dungeon is Max Effort bench, and today went especially well, and I tried out a new exercise that will stay in my regimen for the future, so I thought I would share witht the group.

Finally talked Mrs. Benchmonster into just working out with me rather than lifting at different times, so there is a small victory right there. Mrs. Benchmonster is not a competitve powerlifter, but wants to be strong and get in shape so I figured a powerlifting regimen will work just fine for her. In her first attempt ever at rack lockouts, she got 185, and barely missed 205. Not a bad first day, I thought, for someone who has been having kids for the last 3 years rather than training weights.

I went up with the Mrs. until she dropped out and continued doing rack lockouts with 225, 315, 405, 475, 545, and finally 595, which was a new P.R. on an exercise I have not done in months. I was very pleased, as in the past, it has taken me 2 sessions of rack lockouts to beat my existing P.R.

Then on to the new exercise I picked up from the bench secrets video. I set up a ring pushups, by using the small chains from my chain setup, and looped the chains through some hanging ab straps, and used the straps as rings (handles) The "rings" were about a foot and a half off the ground, and I proceeded to do 4 sets of 10 pushups with my hands in the rings. The first 10 I did with my feet on the ground, and then switched to putting my feet on a bench, which added tremendously to the difficulty. I cannot imagine something that will hit the shoulder stabilizers more than this exercise.

Mrs. Benchmonster, not surprisingly was unable to do ring pushups and opted out until we did barbell triceps extensions. After that it was pulldowns for a few sets, then shoulders/rotators with bands, and off to puke.

I cannot tell you how difficult the pushups in the rings are. My shoulders are trashed. but in a good way, no hint of injury, just a feeling that every muscle fiber has been thoroghly taxed. Triceps are shot too. My arms hurt so bad, I am afraid to drive. God I love Sundays.

B.

benchmonster said:
Then on to the new exercise I picked up from the bench secrets video. I set up a ring pushups, by using the small chains from my chain setup, and looped the chains through some hanging ab straps, and used the straps as rings (handles) The "rings" were about a foot and a half off the ground, and I proceeded to do 4 sets of 10 pushups with my hands in the rings. The first 10 I did with my feet on the ground, and then switched to putting my feet on a bench, which added tremendously to the difficulty. I cannot imagine something that will hit the shoulder stabilizers more than this exercise.

Great improvisation. I have wanted to try those, but haven't been able to find rings. One exercise that I have been doing is setting the pins in the rack as low as they will go....and placing the bar across them. Then with a close "thumbless" grip....doing pushups...making sure to bring the bar to my upper abs...and pushing towards my feet. I have to get my triceps up to take advantage of the shirt....and this seems to be working. I do my normal tricep work during the workout...then do 3 sets to almost failure on these at the end. I really feel like they are teaching me to take it low and press in a straight line...I also use the bands around my wrists when I do them...to activate the lats.

I will have to improvise something like that for us to try. Once Spatts completely rehabs her shoulder...that would be the ultimate way to "bullet proof" it on all planes.

Congratulations on the PR. It sounds like you had a typical Sunday workout in the Dungeon with lots of heavy weight being moved. The rings movement sounds very tough but I'd like to give it a go one of these days. Great workout!

Did you get the email I sent to your hotmail account? Let me know what you think when you get it.

Congrats! The ring pushups are tough. What'd you think of the video? I liked it, kinda thought it was a good revision.

Hannibal, try using a piece of 2" or so pipe cut to about 5-6", then run it through the chains and suspend them from the bar on in the hooks. Should work very good.

Screwball, I will check hotmail when I get done here and will shoot you an e-mail back.

Hannibal, check your PM, bro.

Bigokie, good idea on the pipes, I just kind of looked around and made do with what I had, but the pipe idea is real good if you don't have something to make rings out of.

Thanks for the encouragement to all. Hoping to get in 2 lifts over 500 in July. I feel like the training is in line for that, but you never know till you get there.

B.

bigokie said:
Hannibal, try using a piece of 2" or so pipe cut to about 5-6", then run it through the chains and suspend them from the bar on in the hooks. Should work very good.

Thanks man....will have to try that.

Hannibal how about a pic of your setup

"One exercise that I have been doing is setting the pins in the rack as low as they will go....and placing the bar across them. Then with a close "thumbless" grip....doing pushups...making sure to bring the bar to my upper abs...and pushing towards my feet"

Benchmonster, good job on the PR.

How did you get your wife to agree to the PL'ing stuff? My wife
is into body building. We used to workout together until I started
the PL'ing thing. I am now trying to get her involved in PL'ing.
Hopefully, she will come around.

Top Bottom