Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Please critique my squat

Guinness5.0

I posted this vid in my journal but I want to get as many opinions as possible:
http://media.putfile.com/ATF325x5

Specifically, I'm wondering whether the rounding/hip shift at the bottom is something I should be concerned about, and whether the bar should be over my heels more (pause the vid when I'm at the bottom - the bar is directly above my toes). Feel free to bring up any other points that you see as relevant.

Thanks for any help!

In my opinion, these are easy oly squats, what are you wanting to do?

Your shoses are oly shoes too, are you thinking about converting to powerlifting or something?

Typically can't crititque actual squat techniques unless 80-90% effort and you hit these like they were 135...

Looked at it again, your stance seems to narrow, knee end up of the toes and very deep, but good for oly squats...

They look completely textbook to me - you showoffbastard!

I dont believe that it would really be possible to improve your current form, just try and maintain it throughout the progression of you next cycle - seeing as you already have it!

Saw your DL clip too. That form was also better form than mine, but I have managed a 450 for 6 (by virtue of my long arms). You are indeed stronger than I had previously pictured.

In my opinion, these are easy oly squats, what are you wanting to do?
Yeah I guess it would have helped if I had been a bit more specific....

Def. going for Oly style, but I don't compete in anything - just using Olympic style squats as part of my overall program to get strong in the 'big' lifts - overhaed pressing, benching, squats, deads, rowing, etc.
Typically can't crititque actual squat techniques unless 80-90% effort and you hit these like they were 135...
Thanks for the compliment - these were tougher than they looked. But I'm intentionally going a bit light b/c my hip shift at the bottom used to be worse. Making a concerted effort to hold my low back tighter has forced me to take it easier than before.

Looked at it again, your stance seems to narrow, knee end up of the toes and very deep, but good for oly squats...
Think the knees are too far forward? I'm thinking that I need to bring everything back - hips, elbows, etc. Sound like a step in the right direction?

Thanks for the help, bro.

And BTW I'm thinking that my camera was a great investment - getting help from the boys on this board is proving to be eye-opening.

I can't see the tips of your shoes . .. are your knees going past the tips? It kinda' looks like the might be, which I've been told isn't a good thing.

Guinness5.0 said:
Specifically, I'm wondering whether the rounding/hip shift at the bottom is something I should be concerned about, and whether the bar should be over my heels more (pause the vid when I'm at the bottom - the bar is directly above my toes). Feel free to bring up any other points that you see as relevant.
Bump for MC2, glenn, BiggT, mekannik, CCJ, Bignate, etc. etc...
Hoping you guys could let me know if i'm just a worrier or if these are genuine concerns.

Protobuilder said:
I can't see the tips of your shoes . .. are your knees going past the tips? It kinda' looks like the might be, which I've been told isn't a good thing.
It looks like they go past by a little. I think sitting back further will help it out, but I'm not sure if it's something I need to do or not - I have no knee pain (other than occasionally aggravating an old injury from getting 'bouncey' on front squats) so I'm thinking it's not too bad. But I'd like more opinions....

Last edited:
Guinness5.0 said:
Bump for MC2, glenn, BiggT, mekannik, CCJ, Bignate, etc. etc...
Hoping you guys could let me know if i'm just a worrier or if these are genuine concerns.

It looks like they go past by a little. I think sitting back further will help it out, but I'm not sure if it's something I need to do or not - I have no knee pain (other than occasionally aggravating an old injury from getting 'bouncey' on front squats) so I'm thinking it's not too bad. But I'd like more opinions....

Dear God!! A callout post and it is only January.....

From a power/strength perspective - you look good. Real good. No sticking point, smooth transitions, little/no bounce @ bottom.

I would agree that your knees are going past your toes. But what you need to ask yourself is: are your knees/quads hurting from this? does your form (i.e. extent of knees going past toes) lessen or greaten with increased load?

As mentioned earlier in the thread - look at widening your stance with the toe out position you currently utilize. This would probably help eliminate the slight amount of rounding you are seeing at the bottom of the lift. Most of the oly lifters training hall tapes I have seen show them more upright, but I have a feeling that is due to their stance width and flexibility.

Also keep in mind that should you start gettinga/want to prevent any 'knee' pain - remember to stretch your quads, hams, & calfs for 15-20 minutes at the end of the lifting session along with another day or two during the week.

Top Bottom