Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench press

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
Do you keep your ass/hips on the bench?

I no longer do and it seems to be beneficial for both the weight I can lift (less ROM) and my lower back health

i'm not sure what u mean here. u sayin' that you arch hard and have only your hamstrings on the bench?

HumanTarget said:
i'm not sure what u mean here. u sayin' that you arch hard and have only your hamstrings on the bench?

When you arch, your shoulders blades are retracted and on the bench
Your middle back is not touching the bench (arch)
and your hips/ass can either be on the bench or a few inches above

BTW, I'm on my toes

wow. sounds kinda rough on your back. sometimes i put my feet flat on the bench though so i don't fuck my back

DaPit26 said:
wow. sounds kinda rough on your back. sometimes i put my feet flat on the bench though so i don't fuck my back

I *try* to keep a stong arch and I squeeze my ass
In fact it seems to protect my back

Never heard aching back was good from anyone..You can get a nasty injury doing that..If it comes down to life and death with the weight then id say arch,if not dont do it.If your upper body is strong you should always stay flat on bench! I just call it cheating...lol

I never throw my hips off the bench, always keep my feet flat, shoulder blades retracted, and get a good arch in my lower back sometimes but always keep the hips flat on te bench...I do 'tuck' my feet as far back as they'll go (like almost directly under my hammies) though and that will help with the leverage sometimes...

Ozz2001 said:
Never heard aching back was good from anyone..You can get a nasty injury doing that..If it comes down to life and death with the weight then id say arch,if not dont do it.If your upper body is strong you should always stay flat on bench! I just call it cheating...lol

Your back should be ARCHED !!! Your butt should not leave the bench.
shoulder blades together. your traps and you but should be all that touches the bench. well you can rest your head .. and legs like said before..
when you back is arched. it is in its stronges postion..

If you back is flat.. on the bench you are doing it wrong.!!!

here .. look at this.. The Bench Press http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397331

i arch just fine. i tuck my legs back so that even with leg drive my hips dont come up, if anything what would be considered my ass MIGHT come up but my legs squeeze the bench so you can't tell. hehe.

as for "don't arch its bad for your back"....says who? certainly not some of the strongest benchers in the world who also happen to load up nearly a half a ton of weight on their back and take it for a ride. they MUST have bad backs.

feet up on the bench while benching seems to be way a riskier move IMO. thats like taking one of the wheels off of a cannon before firing. you just wouldnt take 2 legs off a table and then try to set something heavy on it would you?

want to learn the most effective leverages to move alot of weight, talk to powerlifters and OLY lifters. their sports is based on eliminating wasted movement, longevity in the sport (health) and the most productive lift.

Anthrax said:
Do you keep your ass/hips on the bench?

I no longer do and it seems to be beneficial for both the weight I can lift (less ROM) and my lower back health

Just my .02 cents here....the bench has long been a lift that has seen the most concentration from the pectoral region strenght...Poper bench strength, and I mean REAL strenght, not triple denm shirts, not super arch and not on tip toes...

The power of the bench lies primarity from the shoulders, back and triceps...the back should stay FLAT on the bench as well as the head with feet underneath you for extra push but FLAT on the floor. When the press is made you should squeeze the lats in and tighten all the muscles including the glutes...Louis Simmons from Wesside Barbell Club has produces some of the strongest benchers around by utilizing these techniques...again, for good bench train TRIS as heavy as possilbe, shoulders, and back...functional strenght lifts I might add not just the bodybuilding type ashetic lifts...This after some practice, shouls yield some dramatic results on your bench...Not to mention assistance lifts for the bench such as floor presses, board presses, chains, bands, etc...I do know what I speak of so any further help just shoot me a PM...and good luck!!!!

Tankm1 :artist:

Top Bottom