Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Active Recovery: How To...

spatts

High End Bro
Platinum
It seems that a lot of people are interested in adding Active Recovery techniques to their program, but aren’t sure what to do. Hannibal and I have put together some example movements to demonstrate some of the moves. Try to be creative and make things up. When I do AR at home, I use things like couch/chair legs, banisters, railings, door tops, etc…to suspend the band. It’s always fun to come up with new moves, and rig up something I’ve never done before. The idea is to mimic the movements that made you sore in the first place, in an effort to get blood and oxygen flowing through the muscle. As a bodybuilder, AR will not re-rip the muscle fibers and interfere with recovery, but it will speed up the recovery process. It’s important to realize that this is NOT an extra workout. The closer you grab the band to its point of suspension, the more tension will be in the band, so if it starts to become cumbersome allow more slack in the band to lighten up. I generally do lower back and ab work daily (sometimes multiple times each day), and also whatever is sore (which generally corresponds to what I worked the day before).

Military Press:
ARWork_0023.jpg

ARWork_0024.jpg

Side Delt:
ARWork_0026.jpg

ARWork_0025.jpg

Face Pull:
ARWork_0033.jpg

ARWork_0034.jpg

Seated Face Pull:
ARWork_0086.jpg

ARWork_0087.jpg

Rear Delt Upright Reverse Fly:
ARWork_0082.jpg

ARWork_0083.jpg

Rotator Cuff 1:
ARWork_0028.jpg

ARWork_0027.jpg

Rotator Cuff 2:
ARWork_0093.jpg

ARWork_0094.jpg

Lat Pulldown:
ARWork_0084.jpg

ARWork_0085.jpg

Standing Row:
ARWork_0030.jpg

ARWork_0029.jpg

Bent Over Row:
ARWork_0031.jpg

ARWork_0032.jpg

One Arm Rows:
ARWork_0080.jpg

ARWork_0081.jpg

Shrugs:
ARWork_0078.jpg

ARWork_0079.jpg

Upright Row:
ARWork_0076.jpg

ARWork_0077.jpg

Good Mornings:
ARWork_0056.jpg

ARWork_0057.jpg

Band Deadlift:
ARWork_0088.jpg

ARWork_0089.jpg

ARWork_0090.jpg

Elbows Out Tricep Ext:
ARWork_0039.jpg

ARWork_0040.jpg

Tricep Pushdowns:
ARWork_0041.jpg

ARWork_0042.jpg

Lying Tricep Ext:
ARWork_0043.jpg

ARWork_0044.jpg

Overhead Tricep Ext:
ARWork_0045.jpg

ARWork_0046.jpg

French Press:
ARWork_0091.jpg

ARWork_0092.jpg

Bicep Curl:
ARWork_0035.jpg

ARWork_0036.jpg

Concentration Curl:
ARWork_0037.jpg

ARWork_0038.jpg

Bench Press:
ARWork_0068.jpg

ARWork_0069.jpg

Flyes:
ARWork_0070.jpg

ARWork_0071.jpg

Upright Fly:
ARWork_0072.jpg

ARWork_0073.jpg

Standing Ab Crunch 1:
ARWork_0047.jpg

ARWork_0048.jpg

Standing Ab Cruch 2:
ARWork_0049.jpg

ARWork_0050.jpg

Oblique Work:
ARWork_0051.jpg

ARWork_0052.jpg

Swiss Ball Crunch:
ARWork_0054.jpg

ARWork_0055.jpg

Band Leg Curl:
ARWork_0058.jpg

ARWork_0059.jpg

Standing Leg Curl:
ARWork_0060.jpg

ARWork_0061.jpg

Leg Extension:
ARWork_0062.jpg

ARWork_0063.jpg

Calf Toe Press:
ARWork_0064.jpg

ARWork_0065.jpg

Calf Raises:
ARWork_0066.jpg

ARWork_0067.jpg

This is the first post that I have seen in a LONG time that deserves to be sticky...on this board at least!!!!!

Thanks for the idea for training calves...heck of an idea for standing calf raises!!!!!

B True

B-true, if you have a glute/ham raise, or some other machine to lean against, you can get a nice full extension in the calves and tie the band by your feet and wrap it up around your neck. Your body is its own resistance as you raise up on your toes.

spatterson said:
B-true, if you have a glute/ham raise, or some other machine to lean against, you can get a nice full extension in the calves and tie the band by your feet and wrap it up around your neck. Your body is its own resistance as you raise up on your toes.

There are steps leading up to my house from my garage that I have been doing standing calf raises on with my bodyweight only. I hold onto the door knob with one hand and slightly bend over on some of the sets. Adding the bands will really help on these.

Thanks again...

B True

Wonderful post you two!!! Now, when I get me some bands, I will be able to do this stuff at home, too! :) Seriously....really nice post and good pictures, too. Helps explain a lot to me and others, I'm sure! :)

In terms of reps and sets, I will generally perform 2-4 sets of 25. It depends on WHY I'm doing it (AR, injury, stretching, warm-up, etc...). If you have the band pulled so tight that you can't do 25, you are likely using too much tension for AR.

Last edited:
spatterson said:
In terms of reps and sets, I will generally perform 2-4 sets of 25. It depends on WHY I'm doing it (AR, injury, stretching, warm-up, etc...). If you have the band pulled os tight that you can't do 25, you are likely using too much tension for AR.

That's a really good point. I know that when I was in KY, using B fold's bands for pull throughs...I noticed that the tighter you have it, the less reps you can do. It's pretty much common sense, ya know? I could see how having a tight band and doing less reps is more in the 'working out' area instead of the active recovery area. I would use his mini bands to do AR on my abs...like Hannibal is doing in the picture...I could rep out 25-30 of those babies and it really helped out a lot.

Good point.

PULL THROUGHS! Another good one...can't believe we forgot those. Just loop the band to something and pull through like a cable. Awesome AR for hammie soreness. GOOD POINT! :)

Top Bottom