Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Jumping deadlift and new Clean PRs :)

coolcolj

First up Jumping Deadlift demo - firstly I'm not jumping as hard as I normally do, just trying to keep my form clean and save myself for the squats afterwards :)

Ignore the first 2 reps, the rest are how you should do em, continously and jump as hard as you can. I can normally go much higher.

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj/Movies/CCJ_JumpingDeadlift.wmv

Also my Powerclean 205lb PR, I normally don't bend my legs this much to rack the wieght, so I was a bit wobbly!
Hope my form is getting better - I really tried to keep my back straight, lock my arms, but it seems my ass does get up higher, oh well maybe this is how I am, I ahve big glutes so I might as well use em :spit:

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj/Movies/CCJ_PowerClean_PR205.wmv

CleanPull 225lbs, not a PR as such, I could have done mroe reps, but it is the first time i've used 225lbs

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj/Movies/CCJ_CleanPull_PR225.wmv

GREAT PR's man!!!!

Good to see you getting stronger for sure...Time for some new footwear though man!!!!

B True

What's wrong with my converse BBall shoes? :)

yeah I need some solid shoes but I do some jumping in the gym, so I'll need to bring 2 shoes at a guess

Got some great feedback from Chris Thibaudeau!
(well known writer, strength coach/trainer and olympic lifter)

--------------

Ok, two comments:
1. In the clean pull you're using what I consider to be improper form. You give a powerfull tug, but instead of extending your body you "dive" towards it to meet it (kinda like bringing the chest to the bar). IMHO this teaches bad habits such as not fully extending in the pulling phase of a clean/power clean and pulling forward.

In the completed pull position your body whould be fully extended:

1. No knee flexion

2. Hips "punched" forward

3. Trunk slightly hyperextended

4. Traps shrugged (think shoulders to ears)

Think "tall" ... do not lift the bar, lift your body so that you end up as tall as possible.

When a clean pull is properly executed you should be able to hold the finish position.

Basically, to borrow J.V.'s description, your body whould look like a bow. Your body looks like a "reverse bow", your shoulders are ahead of the hips (big mistake), your trunk is flexed, not extended and your knees are bent.

IMHO this might be one of the reason why you loose balance forward during your PR power clean, you developed the habit of pulling forward.

2. You straigthen your legs too fast in the first pull and you do not "finish" the pull. By not finishing the pull I mean that you do now punch the hips nor do your extend your back (you do not reach the "bow" position) as a result you pull the bar forward. Furthermore, you land on your toes (no heel contact) and with the hips forward. Which indicate that your pulled forward.

I see no reason for you to be attempting PR weights in the power clean. You would be much better served spending most of your time using 65-75% to master proper form (especially full extention) before even attempting max weights. Attempting maxes is pointless for athletes anyway. When I first learned the lifts I trained alone and, just like you, trained too heavy. I ended up developping bad habits that took 3 years to correct. Don't make that mistake

Last edited:
nice lifts man. now that iv seen the jumping deadlifts i know im doing them right. !!!
good job again bro

awesome vids. good job mang. I like the jumping deads video, but, the other ones, you could have exercised better form. I would have to agree with Chris T. when he mention you sacrifice form for more weight. no need to impress yourself by putting on much more weight than you can handle with proper form.

aside from that, this is total motivation.

:fro:

Thanks

to be honest my form is pretty much the same as it was when I first started, but I'm slowly improving. So the PRs still count because they still show progression from A to B, it was not so long ago when a 185 clean pull was a heavy ass mofo :)

Goes to show a good coach is worth their weight in gold, but I'm still benefiting, I'm not about to become an olympic lifter any time soon :)

But yeah there really is not point doing 1 RM olympic lifts, especially when you don't have OL platforms to do it on. You should have seen my 2 misses :spit:

Conficious say - a dropped barbell makes a lot of noise! :D

3 rep maxes are about the lowest I go these days on most lifts
But I still want my 500lb 1RM deadlift soon ;)

awesome job man. I'd like to have that 500lb deadlift though, as mine is lingering around 350lbs right now, although my powerclean is 240lbs. Im really excited about the next few weeks, I think I can make it to a 250lb powerclean within a month, but we'll see, I haven't really been training the powerclean lately. Can anyone tell me though why my powerclean is higher in proportion to the rest of my lifts than most peoples?

At a guess you have good speed, neural recruitment and strong quads - perhaps your posterior chain and back are not as strong?

Who knows, me for example - my squat is no where near as good as my deadlift, but I'm working on it :)

I know some very good Throwers who have weak lifts but strong Olympic lifts can throw the shotput very far, whereas the reverse case in other throwers means they have much poorer throws.

Top Bottom