Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cimetidine kicks ass as an appetite suppressant

Lao Tzu

Damn this is nice so far. Normally I eat about 4000-4500 calories a day but on cimetidine I'm only averaging about 2500-3000 a day and just don't feel hungry for more. Normally while dieting I eat about 3000-3500.

In case anyone doesn't know cimetidine is the ingredient in tagamet, the OTC acid reflux drug. It has been shown to alter cholecystokinin peptide levels

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3225/is_n4_v48/ai_14237509

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11208394&dopt=Citation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9822940&dopt=Abstract

Best part is it is OTC, shown to be safe and $7 for sixty 200mg tablets.

Lao Tzu said:
Damn this is nice so far. Normally I eat about 4000-4500 calories a day but on cimetidine I'm only averaging about 2500-3000 a day and just don't feel hungry for more. Normally while dieting I eat about 3000-3500.

In case anyone doesn't know cimetidine is the ingredient in tagamet, the OTC acid reflux drug. It has been shown to alter cholecystokinin peptide levels

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3225/is_n4_v48/ai_14237509

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11208394&dopt=Citation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9822940&dopt=Abstract

Best part is it is OTC, shown to be safe and $7 for sixty 200mg tablets.

Wow, eating 3000-3500 for a diet, do you weigh 300lb?

Cimetidine is the generic name for Tagamet. Tagemet is used for the treatment of ulcers, gastric reflux and gastrointestinal bleeding. It inhibits gastric acid secretion and so, without the presence of sufficient gastric acids, the food within the stomach will take longer to break down and will leave a user feeling fuller, longer. However, Tagamet is not designed to be used as an appetitie suppressant. This is just an apparent side effect experienced by some users. Just as some users experience another of the many side effects of Tagamet use -- Gynecomastia.

KP--Fitness Basics

I weigh 250.

Yeah, it causes gyno. But in a study done over 4 years only 153 people out of 81,000 on anti ulcer drugs got gyno, that is 0.2%. Plus in half the cases it reversed itself. Plus a person could just go on arimidex at the first sign of gyno and take care of it.

The mechanism of cimetidine isn't totally known yet. It could be stomach emptying, it could be CCK, it could be 5 alpha reductase inhibition.

The biggest problem is that it inhibits the P450 enzyme, so tons of drugs can build up in your body since the P450 enzyme breaks many drugs down.

http://www.kxan.com/global/story.asp?s=1230175

Gynecomastia And Peptic Ulcer Therapy Gynecomastia has been frequently associated as a side effect of cimetidine (Tagamet) and has been less commonly associated with omeprazole (Prilosec) treatment. Another common ulcer treatment, ranitidine (Zantac), has also been associated with gynecomastia in a single case report. To estimate the risk of gynecomastia with various drugs used for the treatment of peptic ulcer, a British research group studied men who received such prescriptions from their general practitioners over a four-year period. More than 81,000 men received at least one prescription for cimetidine, misoprostol, omeprazole or ranitidine. Men were excluded from the study who had a history of gynecomastia, testicular cancer, breast cancer, liver disease, or androgen therapy. During the case study, gynecomastia developed in 153 men. The majority (84 percent) of cases were self-reported by patients, and in 43 percent of patients, gynecomastia was unilateral. In 46 percent of patients, the condition regressed, and in an additional 18 percent, partial regression occurred. The researchers calculated that the risk of gynecomastia was substantially increased with cimetidine use but not with the other three drugs. The period of greatest risk was between the 7th and 12th month of cimetidine treatment and was influenced by daily dosage. The greatest risk occurred with dosages of more than 1,000 mg daily. Patients who followed such regimens were estimated to have a 40-fold risk, compared with patients who did not take cimetidine

In the studies which you have provided links to, they mention the ages, BMI, the cimetidine dosage rate, and the resulting mean weight loss per group. However, they do not say which individual was in which group. When you have a test group ranging in age from 18 to 59, with varying bodyweights and whose basic metabolic rate is going to differ so widely to start with, and then place them all on restrictive diets, the resulting weight loss is also going to differ. The addition of cimetidine or a placebo may only further increase this difference. The possibility of placing test subjects, which have the optimum opportunity to lose the most bodyweight, all in one particular group as opposed to a random grouping has to be considered. But since the information about these studies, I assume, is not being presented in a complete format, it wouldn't be fair of me to criticise their entire findings.

So, just based on fact in regards to cimetidine: It does have the potential to act as an appetite suppressant despite the fact that it was not designed for this purpose. It was also not designed for long term use. The most severe condition (gastroesophageal reflux disease) for which it was designed is for a 12 week period. If someone wishes to use cimetidine then they need to be aware of the possible and reported side effects, even if the occurrence rate is low (most of these effects are reversible when you discontinue using it):
  • diarrhea
  • headaches
  • depression
  • anxiety
  • hallucinations
  • gynecomastia (has been seen in individuals using cimetidine for one month or longer)
  • impotence
  • decreased white blood cell count
  • scar tissue in the liver (one reported case)
  • increase in creatinine levels
  • inflammation of the kidneys
  • mild rash
  • cimetidine also interacts with various drugs

A much safer and healthier appetite suppressant would be the use of a low-glycemic, complex carb source every 2-3 hours with plenty of water.

But k to you for going from 'Best part is it is OTC, shown to be safe ...' to posting up documented health concerns.

KP--Fitness Basics

so where would you get this stuff if you wanted some?

needsize said:
so where would you get this stuff if you wanted some?
Cimetidine (Tagamet) is available as an over-the-counter drug at most pharmacies. For the higher dosage form, you will require a prescription.

KP--Fitness Basics

Top Bottom