Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Law enforcement officials to hold summit on 'Oxy' drug

George Spellwin

The Architect
Staff member
Administrator
Elite Moderator
Law enforcement officials to hold summit on 'Oxy' drug

The Associated Press

RICHMOND, Va. (February 27, 2001 3:18 p.m. EST http://www.nandotimes.com) - Richmond will host a gathering of law enforcement officials from eight Eastern states on Thursday as they discuss how to stem the abuse of OxyContin, a powerful synthetic morphine blamed for dozens of deaths.

The summit was called by Attorney General Mark Earley of Virginia, where at least 32 deaths have been blamed on the prescription painkiller over the past four years. At least 59 OxyContin overdose deaths have been reported in Kentucky in the past year.

Several states, including Virginia, said they have seen crime surge as addicts rob and steal to get the drug. On Monday, a federal grand jury indicted five people from Virginia and one from Ohio on charges of running an illegal OxyContin ring.

The drug, prescribed for cancer victims and others suffering severe pain, is known on the streets as Oxy or OC. Abusers crush the pills into powder and snort it, or dilute it and inject it.

OxyContin, produced by Purdue Pharma of Norwalk, Conn., and approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 1996, is popular across the nation, especially in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland and Maine, according to the Justice Department.

A Purdue Pharma representative plans to speak at the summit. In a letter to Earley two weeks ago, vice president Michael Friedman said Purdue Pharma is taking steps to curb unauthorized use of the drug.

I have taken this drug..when recovering from surgury after tearing my esophagus...the pain from cutting through 2 ribs to fix the tear was quit bad....I was percsribed 60 mgs every 12 hours....it does get you high for a short time , then you fall asleep . and the drug hang over is the wort I have ever expierianced,,,worse then demerol(I get migrains) The hang over last all day ....unless you take something to kill it....like Percacet....so it can lead to a vicsous cycle of abuse....though I have 60 % of my scirt left from the surgury....I guess i make a bad addict,

I have taken this drug..when recovering from surgury after tearing my esophagus...the pain from cutting through 2 ribs to fix the tear was quit bad....I was percsribed 60 mgs every 12 hours....it does get you high for a short time , then you fall asleep . and the drug hang over is the wort I have ever expierianced,,,worse then demerol(I get migrains) The hang over last all day ....unless you take something to kill it....like Percacet....so it can lead to a vicsous cycle of abuse....though I have 60 % of my scirt left from the surgury....I guess i make a bad addict,

I have taken oxcotins for an automobile accident. I was prescribed 20 mg pills every 12 hours. Believe it or not oxy's are like any other drug...you MUST respect it. I am 5'10 and 165lbs and I have taken 80mg to 100 mgs at a time. One of the biggest mistakes people make is to scratch off the time released coating. This makes too much oxcotin to be absorbed to fast! The timed release coating is there for safety. I dont condone abuse of this drug, but if you are going to use it use it sparingly and the way it was intended to be used. Just swallow it!

Top Bottom