Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Low-fat Isn’t Always Better

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
I am sure all the women on this board already know it :)D ), but it is always nice to read that fat is not evil :p

Women who follow a low-fat diet may not be getting as many essential nutrients as they should, according to the findings of a 27,000-person U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) study.

More than half the women who reduced their fat intake to less than 30 percent of total calories were short changing themselves on vitamins A and E, calcium, folic acid, iron and zinc. This, in turn, places them at greater risk for osteoporosis, pregnancy-related problems and, perhaps, certain types of cancer.

While a low-fat diet is recommended for the prevention of obesity, breast cancer, diabetes and heart disease, following a low-fat diet at the expense of nutrients is not a wise choice. Instead, women—and men as well—should follow a diet that is varied and balanced, low in fat and high in essential nutrients. For some, supplementation may be in order. For others, simply choosing high-nutrient foods over high-sugar, low-fat foods can make a positive difference in overall health.

Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, April 19, 1998

If its low-fat or fat-free it usually isn't good for you......women need to consume healthy fats like from flax oil, olive oil and so on..not overboard though..

"Maybe if we try to focus on what we can get instead of what to avoid, our diets would be more productive."

Sagely advice. This was one of the take home messages from a symposium I attended where a speaker for the American Cancer society presented epidemiological evidence that what we DON'T eat (in terms of fiber, nutrients, protective chemicals etc...) is more important than what we do eat. In other words, it seems that as long as we eat our 5 plus servings of fruits and veggies (preferably fresh, in season and locally grown), and our 6 plus whole grains, and get enough EFAs in out diet, (and enough protein if you're a bodybuilder, THEN it doesn't matter so much what else you eat on top of all that. Go ahead and have some ice cream if you've still got room left and you crave some.

One thing I noticed, when I too mistakenly saw fat as the enemy:
usually, low fat means high-carb...
Anytime I try to get a low fat version of something, the carbs are something like double ... I'll take the fat, thank you very much!

Too true...to make low fat foods more palatable, they often tend ot ahve more sugar in them, or more salt, or both.

Snack Wells kind of scare me. They're so artificial. I don't get people who see them as being so healthy, they justify eating a whole box-- they're not carrot sticks.

My opinion on stuff like that is I'd rather have a couple of homemade unhealthy cookies than a handful of little chemical pucks. I just try to push the good treat off on my bf so I don't have dozens of cookies sitting around to tempt me.

The only low-fat thing I really like is milk. I grew up drinking skim milk and I can't gag down the thicker stuff. I also like lowfat yogurt and cottage cheese-- but otherwise I associate lowfat/fat free with chemicals and a lot of carbs. I finally get that fat isn't "evil"....as long as it's good fat.

Top Bottom