Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

T3 & T4???

Starfish --
Because I'm not a doctor or medical professional (or even remotely biology novice LOL) and its after 1 am, the short answer is to go check out www.about.com and do a search on "T3" and "thyroid" -- that should give you enough info to keep you off the streets for a few hours!

I think doing some general searching on topics, esp thyroid, is good to do outside of the context of these boards because it gives you a better understanding of what you are dealing with -- you can manipulate your thyroid to lean out (one of our biggest pursuits in bb!), but you need to see what the impact of doing that is on your thyroid in general and potentially the rest of your life. Also lots of good info about being hyper & hypo- thyroid. If you've gotten your thyroid done on a blood panel, I think its good to understand that what is considered to be in the "normal" range can sometimes actually not be "normal" -- there is some good info on about.com about that.

Good luck!

Sassy :angel:

Thanks Sassy!!

Actually, my doctor had me on thyroid medication for awhile so I'll check it out. I've heard you can have hypothyroidism and not really show it on a blood test??

**Starfish**

Sometimes you can be on the edge of "normal" and really be either hypo or hyper so that's why I recommend reading more on the topic -- what's considered "normal" on those blood tests is such a generic thing so if you suspect you might not be 'normal", pursue it further. For ex, I had a blood panel done in early January 2001 and ,my thyroid numbers were "normal" but I suspect I'm probably hypo based on my (non) ability to drop fat easily. I've found about.com to have lots of good info and that's usually where I start my quests for more info...

T4, or levothyroxine, is actually the reserve form of T3, or liothyronine. The thyroid secretes the majority of its hormone as T4. T4 is the less active form of thyroid hormone, and gets metabolized into T3, by the removal of 1 iodine atom...T4 - 1 Iodine = T3.

T3 is the active form of thyroid hormone in the body, actually 5 times more active than T4. This is the agent that actually causes all of the major effects: metabolic elevations, thermogenesis, cardiac stimulation, etc.

In terms of use, T3 has a much shorter life in the body, around 1-2 days, while T4 has around 7 days. This is why doctors prefer to give patients T4...it is easier to control. Just give the patient some T4 and the body does the rest (the body decides to activate it as it sees fit), whereas T3 is active and can be tricky to get just right.

Top Bottom