Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Start a gainer or stick with regular protein?

Madd Hatter

I'm 6'2" 175lbs. In the couple of months I've been working out in anything close to an effective manner, I've only gained a few pounds, though my arms and chest are noticeably (slightly) more defined and bigger (nothing else is). I still have a gut (that only I can see apparently) that just won't change. I'm taking in enough protein I think, but I bet I don't even get 100% RDA of carbs for a "normal" person. My total calories may not even hit 2100 on a day I don't screw up and wolf down some ice cream or oreos (wow, I just realized how little calories I'm eating). Yes, my goal is to "bulk", but w/o upping my pant size. I work out at LEAST 3 days a week, usually more like 5. I've recently started creatine, no noticeable differences in 2 weeks. Anyway...

Should I start using a gainer protein powder instead of a low-carb? I've been taking GNC's regular protein powder, and just got some Triple Threat. I was looking at AR Nutrition's Xtreme Mass (on sale at dps), anything wrong with this? Has 50g of protein, 98g of carbs per serving.

While I'm posting, I heard some BS about what you should/shouldn't take before/after your creatine. I'm taking my creatine when I wake up, followed by my shake 10 or so mins later, then in the gym 15 mins after that. After the gym I take my other half of creatine, then eat my "normal person" breakfast. Is this ok? Is any way I do it ok?

I sincerely appreciate any guidance.

Well, Hatter, I'll take a stab at this one.

I started working out last July, and hit the gainers about 3 months in because my weight was continuing to drop instead of going up.

First of all, what's your body fat %?

Secondly, how much protein are you taking in? I've seen a variety of recommendations, around 1.5 to 2 times your body weight.

I'll tell you that you'll see a lot of opinions on creatine too. I've been told to always take it with food, and drink lots of water. I take creatine in the morning and post workout.

Oh, and I'll give you the same advice I've been told and you'll undoubtedly see in many places: real food's always better than shakes.

My body fat when I got it tested with calipers several weeks back was 11.15%. On those wonderfully inaccurate body fat scales, I've hit 16%. I do know I'm pretty lean.

Protein intake ranges from I'd say 120g to 190g on a good day.

A couple more questions I forgot to ask above....
This gainer I'm looking at says it contains glutamine peptides. Would this be a measurable amount and be at all comparable to my buying and taking a glutamine supplement?

Second, does either protein or creatine powder "go bad" in any way over time? Because I'd be stocking up for several months in advance. Don't see how, just wondering.

If your 11% bf test was accurate, I wouldn't worry too much about going up in pants size if you're wanting to bulk. I would up my calories but with a more balanced MRP or whole foods, and try to stay over 200g protein, spaced over 5-6 meals. I would be suprised if a gainer would have much glutamine content especially if the amount is not listed. The only time I would use a supp that has 98 grams of carbs would be post workout with some creatine and glutamine.
Do a little cardio just to help keep the gut in check.

I'm with Gettin Old, if you're at 11%, that's great. I'm sitting at around 15%, and have been for a while. I know what you mean about the gut though. I hate it, but I'd much rather continue to bulk right now.

I think the protein powder I use contains some glutamine, but it's a pretty negligble amount.

They also list an expiration date on the powders I use, but it's usually at least a year out, so I don't pay much attention to it.

You sound pretty lean... and I'd decide one of 2 things. Do you want your extra calories to come from your gainer or do you want to eat an ice-cream instead? Personally I'd go for the Icecream. If you drink a gainer that has 120g of carbs... why not go for it and at least enjoy the 120g and eat w/e you want, both gainer and sweets are full of sugar.

Since you are worried about your waist size you can decide on another thing. You can eat cleaner and forget about the gainer and sweets and eat more complex carbs like Oatmeal, veggies, baked potatoes, brown rice, etc etc. But like i said, if you really need the extra calories do what you need to do.

You definately need to increase your protein intake as the other bros stated. At the very least eat 1g/pound, that's at the very least.

About your creatine... it doesn't sound like you're really reacting well to it. If you loaded on it you should have gained a bit more IMO. I gained a good 12 pounds the first time i took it. And most people i know gain at least 5 pounds by the 2nd week when they are 1st time users.

The protein powders i believe do expire... and the more they are exposed to oxygen the faster they expire. That's what i read somewhere but it was a supplement company who stated it...

Top Bottom