Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

skim vs whole milk

spk55

if what the dietitians say is correct, that we need fats when taken with proteins to properly matabolize/digets the proteins, why do so may people dring skim milk?
i know fat people drink it because it is 70 calories in an eight oz glass less than whole milk, but why do healthy bodybuilders and guys that train hard drink skim milk??
i cant figure this one out.
why not drink whole milk??

I plan my diet ahead of time and get my fat calories through other sources. I don't need the added fat and calories of whole milk so I drink skim milk. I guess if you are trying to add weight then whole milk could be okay. But you need to be carful, three glasses a day is 24 grams of fat and 450 calories. Between breakfast cereal, milk with your snack, and supper you might lose track quickly. I would think a good compromise would be 1 or 2% milk. I love the Smart Balance milk. The 1% taste like whole milk and has 10 grams of protein per serving.

Rebecca D

thanks for the reply, but my point is how can you matabolize the protein with no fat?thats why i question skim milk.
you're supose to have a combo of protein with fats to be matabolized the correct way.

The fat in milk is saturated fat (the bad kind). I drink my milk with cereal and nuts or in a protein shake with natural peanut butter so I am getting fat with my protein. My body needs to avoid excess saturated fat. The Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (JISSN--how erotic) has a great article on the benefits of Milk as a Post Workout Drink. It cites skim or lowfat milk as the best option for muscle recovery. The American Heart Association recommends skim or lowfat milk, citing studies that link whole milk consumption to a greater chance of heart disease.

On the other hand, saturated fat does support healthy testosterone levels and there are studies that show the saturated fat in whole milk makes you more full and less likely to eat more calories later than if you consume skim milk.

I would say that for the average person or even the novice to intermediate lifter that it would be best to avoid whole milk. An experience lifter and someone who carefully monitors their calorie and fat intake could benefit from whole milk. Also, if you are a hard gainer then adding extra fat and calories with whole milk might be benefitial.

Rebecca D:qt:

Wow. Google Dr Revnskov and you get a million sites claiming he has debunked the cholesterol myth and a million saying he is a quack. The one thing I did notice was that I rarely saw his name without an add for his book. I also noticed that the "establishment" sites like the American Heart Association, the FDA,the American Cancer Association, and the more prominent medical journals discredit Rovnskov's studies as "picking and choosing" his information from studies and only mentioning the possibilites that support his conclusion.

Mass Media Bunk 26 - mythbusting the cholesterol myths -- The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com
Science-Based Medicine The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics

His supporters hail him as exposing the pharm companies for ripping of the public with dangerous and ineffective cholesterol drugs.

The opinion of the "establishment" medical community is as follows: Response to Dr. Rovnskov by a Dr. NcNulty from a site called the cholesterol-myth-report taken from the website Elsevier.

"Ravnskov’s a bit of a quack and a crank. He’s earned a reputation for sending obnoxious, whining nonsensical letters to journals. You can find some of them if you’re wandering around Elsevier long enough. A lot of his colleagues publish material in sources like JPANDS – a journal of an insane ultra-right wing medical group that publishes junk like HIV-denialism and the like. Let me put this way – there’s not a lot of credibility on this side.

We actually get one of the Anthony Colpo/Ravnskov groupies showing up on this site every so often and posting in ALL CAPITALS until he gets banned.

Ravnskov is a bit of a crank. He’s got an idea that he’s fixated on, and he refuses to acknowledge the mountains and oceans of evidence saying he’s wrong. A lot of what he’s saying is based on the incredibly simplistic way that science material is presented to the American public, and the incredibly simplistic way it’s digested – rarely beyond the idea of X or Y is bad. He’s frequently dishonest with his examples and uses rhetoric rather than any good science – in many cases he tries to use isolated and unsupported studies to disprove the weight of scientific consensus and evidence. Science doesn’t work that way.

The development of atherosclerosis is extremely complicated, involves a very large number of factors, not all of which are completely understood. That said, an atherosclerotic plaque consists of a mass macrophages that become so engorged with LDL(a form of cholesterol) that they break down. Circulating LDL is necessary for this to happen. Cholesterol a major component of the plaque forming – and at the moment, the best ability to predict and control atherosclerotic plaques is via cholesterol."

I thought this was pretty harsh. What I got out of the ariticle you sent me and the research I did was that the established medical community does not think much of Ravnskov's theory but that a growing number of alternative or outside the box doctors do give credit to his theories. I'm not sure there is enough to support his theories...yet, but I do think it is good to challenge the "establishment" medical community every now and then.

I'm not sure I understand all the medical speak, but it is interesting. I didn't see much by Ravnskov on high fat diets and reducing obesity though, just about heart disease.

What I do think is that a glass or two of whole milk a day is fine for a person that exercises and eats a healthy diet.

Rebecca D

rebecca
thanks for the great post.

the way i look at the whole diet thing, and i really dont wat to use the word diet, but the way i eat. i try to
1)stay as close to earth as possible( WHOLE eggs, WHOLE milk, fresh fruits, veggies, meats, fish)
2)if you cant wash it off dont eat it.(you can wash off an apple, bot not a twinkie)
3)STAY in moderation. dont overinduldge in anything. mark rippetow, a famous coach from what i heard, has his students drinking a gallon of whole milk a day.(GOMAD) this is to put on weight and bulk up. then if your weighing more ,you should bench, squat and deadlift more. then you start cutting..WTF!!! a gallon a day for weeks and months?? moderation pal.
4) dont bulk up then cut. very unhealthy. gain a bunch of weight to have a bench press go up 20 pounds then cut for a contest. eliminate water and carbs to see a few veins? repeat 2-3 times a year for years. very unhealthy.
everything in moderation.. just my opinion.

I like your simple approach. I don't compete so I have never dieted down either. (I do try to trim up a little for summer) I just try to eat healthy. Lots of fresh food when possible. Everybody wants to know what diet I'm on and I just say eat healthy and exercise. I think what I hear from you is that you can eat healthy without it being a chore. Fresh food, moderation, and exercise. Maybe we should write an e-book.

Thanks for making me think a little,

Rebecca D:qt:

Top Bottom