Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Saving on supplements

maxb01

Maxon377 asked this question on 5/8/2001:
I know the body needs a fast release protein after workout, and a slow release protein at bedtime, and in the past I've been taking Promax protein (high quality whey), Enduro Food/Recover (3:1 maltodextrin:biomax protein) after workout, etc.

Lately I'm trying to save a bit on supplements.
So, at bedtime and between meals I'm just having boiled egg whites, is this a good choice?

Now, I still need a quick release protein to drink after workout, but I also know you shouldn't drink plain protein after workout, because protein takes longer than carbs to digest, and a long digestion would waste the window of oppurtunity.
Also, the body needs the insuline spike of carbs to drive the protein in the muscles. I've heard saying the right combination is 3:1 carbs protein.
Now, done these considerations, I was considering to spare some money on one supplement only: I could buy some plain whey protein or a recovery drink such as Maximuscle's Recover.
I'd rather prefer buying plain protein, as it's more versatile in its use that a recovery drink you are supposed to drink only after the workout (and it'd be cheaper), but I still need quick digestible carbs with it. I was thinking to add dextrose to it, or maybe to eat a banana with it.

Is a banana as quickly digestible as a carbohydrate drink?

Is it ok to add plain dextrose to protein?

I mean, what is the quantity of dextrose the body can handle after a workout without becoming bodyfat? (for me bodyfat percentage is more imortant than bulk)

What is a good non-supplement alternative to the post workout drink?

For last, how is Prolab's Pure Whey as a post workout protein? I know is not as good as Promax or the Prolab's advanced one, because I've given a look at the aminos composition, but it's much cheaper and I'm not a hardcore bodybuilder (I've been doing it for 2 years, I'm toned now, I want to get a bit bigger, but I'm not aiming to be huge).

Thanks

Top Bottom