Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein Assimilation

bambam

I printed this up a long time ago, I believe it was off of MMX. I have learned so much from this board, I just wanted to give back some. Without further ado here is the ariticle:

Understand that there are three limiting factors in protein assimilation. They are digestion, absorption, and transit time. You see, if protein isn't completely digested, then the small intestine simply can't absorb it and it'll pass right out into the feces during normal transit times.

Also, if there's a whole lot of undigested amino acids and peptides in the small intestine, the transporters may become saturated and full absorbtion can't take place. Finally, if the small intestine transit time is too fast, then even complete digestion and the availability of receptors can't stop your nutrients from just being swept out of the body.

So with three potentially limiting factors, determining which is most important to assimilation is difficult, but very important to your question. This is especially important if your protein is jacked up to my recommended 2 g/lb. Several studies investigating this question have shown that 75% to 90% of moderated doses (25 to 48 grams) of intact proteins are assimilated while 90% to 95% of very large doses (up to 100 grams) of partially digested proteins are assimilated. This indicates that digestion is the big limiting factor and that if you provide more digested protein to the small intestine, it will assimilate more.

So by targeting digestion, protein assimilation can be enhanced. In individuals who suffer from pancreatitis (those people who don't secrete enough natural digestive enzymes), digestive enzyme supplementation is very helpful. So it may be helpful in healthy people too. The problem, however, is that regular ol' digestive enzymes are easily broken down in the stomach before they ever get to the small intestine. Since we want them to act in the small intestine (thats where the natural ones work), this isnt a good scenario.

Enter enteric coated tablets. Pancreatic enzymes delivered in this manner have proven to be the most effective since they are protected from stomach acidity (ph of about 2), but dissolve in the small intestine (ph about 6). Other non-coated enzymes aren't very effective.

In addition to digestion, I mentioned that transit time is another important factor in protein assimilation. This one is easier to manipulate than digestion. Transit time is slowed down in proportion to your protein and fat intake. This is called a dose-dependant manner. The higher the dose of protein or fat, the slower the intestinal transit. This gives the body more time for the protein to be digested and absorbed before its swept away. There's also an herb called passion flower which may slow down intestinal transit time.

Top Bottom