Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Please tell me how does tuna stay fresh in a can

pretor7UJ

I was just thinking how tuna is a key food when it comes to dieting, I have tuna steak which is very expensive, because I try to avoid can foods as much as I can, my budget has forced me to start using tuna can, I wonder How it stays fresh for long time in the can, what do they use to preserve it.

Canning itself adds to preserving it. Salt is a big thing. Just like with anything in a can. And whatever other chemicals are on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The salt preserves the tuna and by canning it, it isn't exposed to air so bacteria can't grow in the product. Most water packed canned tunas don't have anything in the ingredient list besides tuna, water and salt.

All water packed tuna is basically fat free and has the name nutrition facts -
A 170g can will provide 120g of tuna when drained and provide 120 calories, 30g protein, 0g carb, 1g fat.

Always purchase light or skipjack tuna. The skipjack fish is actually a very small fish and has very little mercury. It is safe to eat on a daily basis. It is also the cheapest variety of tuna to buy.

Stay away from albacore tuna as it has the highest mercury content.

I was just thinking how tuna is a key food when it comes to dieting, I have tuna steak which is very expensive, because I try to avoid can foods as much as I can, my budget has forced me to start using tuna can, I wonder How it stays fresh for long time in the can, what do they use to preserve it.

Preservatives and closed packaging keeps it away from oxidation and bacteria

the dirty secret is that it doesn't in a lot of cases, that is why foodborne illnesses are sky high from canned fish. that is why i catch my own fresh fish.. fish that is 3 days old or more is no longer considered fresh.

you won't find me ever eating fish out of a can or buying frozen fish.

if you do eat canned or frozen fish i highly recommend smelling it and tasting a small amount before eating.. if it tastes or smells funny throw it out

[h=2]Bacterial Contamination[/h]As with other foods, there is a risk that canned tuna can be contaminated with pathological bacteria, such as Clostridium botulinum, Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter jejuni and Escherichia coli, which can cause food poisoning and even death. Symptoms can include diarrhea, vomiting and stomach cramps four to 36 hours after ingestion. In June 2010, Tri-Union Seafoods, the parent of Chicken of the Sea, recalled 1,105 cases of white tuna packed in water tuna. The FDA said the tuna was being recalled because of possible pathological contamination due to loose seals and seams in the cans.
[h=2]Histamine[/h]Histamine poisoning, also called scrombroid poisoning, can occur if the canned tuna isn't handled properly after it's opened. Histamine forms when the free amino acid histidine and bacteria inherent in the tuna interact. Once the can is opened, the tuna should be eaten within two hours or refrigerated. The Center for Food Safety for Hong Kong's Special Administrative Region issued an advisory on histamine poisoning, and in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has looked at cases of histamine poisoning in fresh tuna. The FDA reports reported incidents of histamine poisoning have declined since the initial reports.

I think basically because there is salt and it is sealed air tight. I mean back in the day humans did not have refrigeration and used salt to keep things safe to eat.

This is possible because of the fact that the food is canned, and it is hence not exposed to any bacteria or air. This is why most strategic foods are canned - so they can be stored for a really long period of time without getting spoiled and without losing all of their nutrients.

Eating canned tuna is quite a good thing - if you get a clean product, its macro profile will be great. After all, not all of us can afford to eat fresh tuna everyday.

Top Bottom