Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

nfl bans Ephedrine

NEW YORK (AP) - The NFL banned the stimulant ephedrine after being told by experts that the substance often found in strength-building food supplements can cause seizures, strokes and even death.
The ban will be part of the league's anti-steroid policy, which means that players will be subject to random testing for the substances.

But commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who announced the policy Thursday in a memo to the 31 teams, said the testing won't begin until further consultations with the NFL Players Association, which has approved the ban but not the timing.

"This strengthening of our policy responds to the recent introduction of new substances, as well as new evidence addressing the risks associated with certain products already on the market," Tagliabue said.

Ephedrine is common in over-the-counter cold medications. More recently, it has been found in food supplements that athletes use to build strength.

The NCAA and International Olympic Committee have long had ephedrine on their lists of banned substances.

Last December, the league said, Dr. John Lombardo, the NFL's chief adviser on steroids, told players there was growing evidence linking ephedrine to fatal heart rhythm, strokes, and seizures.

The NFL's new policy bans the use or distribution of products with ephedrine alkaloids, unless they are prescribed for medical use by a team physician.

It also bans teams and players from endorsements with manufacturers or distributors of those substances.

"Players or teams that have an existing arrangement with a supplement manufacturer or distributor must take immediate steps to determine whether it complies with NFL policy," the league said in its statement.

Tagliabue said one reason for the ban was the dramatic increase in recent years of "products claiming to enhance athletic performance or physical fitness."

He said manufacturers can market dietary supplements without government review, and that there was no way to be certain that such products are safe and effective or that they contain the exact ingredients listed on their labels.

"One example is the proliferation of products containing ephedrine," Tagliabue said. "This stimulant, which is often found in products advertised for weight loss and enhanced energy, has become increasingly popular among both professional and amateur athletes."

Just got this off another board. But it shouldnt be real surprising to anyone. I heard they are also considering a ban on protein.

i hope you're kidding about the protein... and by protein i'm assuming you mean WHEY right??? that's waaaaaaaay out of line. It's food, how can they ban food? And besides that how the hell can you tell ?

please tell me you were joking...

riskybiz007 said:
i hope you're kidding about the protein... and by protein i'm assuming you mean WHEY right??? that's waaaaaaaay out of line. It's food, how can they ban food? And besides that how the hell can you tell ?

please tell me you were joking...

:D Easy there RB!!!! He was joking.

lol ok good very good... i do believe a lot more people will be banning creatine though i think in the future.

Top Bottom