Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Newbie needs help... Unable to increase weight on BP

Splendor

Hi All,

I'm new to the boards however I have read quite a few of the posts and you all are great. I can honestly say it's good to be here on this forum.

My question is: I have been seriously working out with weights in the gym. No matter how hard I try it's no good, I simply cannot increase my Bench press. It has been around 4 weeks and I can't move up even a pound. I am so depressed by this because it doesn't make any sense to me. My diet is pretty good (at least I think it is). I try to only work each major muscle group once a week, so I don't think I'm over training. I just don't know what to do.

I can't see what you're doing but if you can't get the second half of the lift up then you need to work your triceps more. This is usually the sticking point for people on the bench. They do too little or no tricep work. Can you get the weight up off your chest?
It would also help to know a little about you, height, weight, how long you've been training, etc.

Maybe you are UNDERfueled before you hit the gym? Try eating a carb/protein meal 30-45 min before training - like lean meat and a potato or rice - then training. Maybe your body needs more energy to maximize the lift.

Also, you could take a 4 week break from BP, do another exercise for chest and then go back to it.

Also, what about Tricep strength? Focus on making them stronger too - they help with BP. As do Lats, believe it or not! Maybe for the next 4 weeks, drop the focus on BP and focus on making your Triceps and Lats stronger - then go back to focusing on the BP and see if your weights went up.

splendor - try this little trick.

Combination of negative w/a bit of a shock - add 20LBs and get someone to spot you. Try to slower lower your weight down and have the spoter lifted of you - go for 8-10 reps. Go for a a few weeks. Also, do not forget to use those 2.5lb weights - they are key.

I feel for you Splendor. My situation is similar except that my gains have stopped completely for me. It doesn't seem like I'm able to make anymore progress at all. I tried just taking a weak off. Kept up the protein and supplements during the break. Thought that would help if I had unknown recovery problems but it didn't. Definately not a good feeling :-(

you might want to try 5x5 routine. also work on getting your tris and shoulders stronger. they all help when benching. also try heavy incline presses they will help on flat bench.

Where is your sticking point and what does your routine look like now? Give us more info so we can help you :)

Top Bottom