Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My mass gain plan

Mallorcian

Hi all

Thought I'd join to ask a few questions specifically about my mass gain plan. Advice would be much appreciated!

So here's the thing. I'm 26 and like many, my goal is to gain muscle and muscle mass! More specifically, due to the fact that my metabolism is on the fast side, I decided to buy some mass gain supplements to help support my calorie intake. I hope it does the trick.

My plan is to include the usual blend of natural quality foods (tuna, milk, eggs, wheat, veggies etc) supplemented by weight gain powders.

So basically, the two shakes I have bought to include are:

Dymatize mega gainer - the maximum you can get from this one (with added extras such as honey, ice cream, peanut butter etc) is supposedly 3000 calories, 126g protein, 507g carbs! I know what your thinking. Don't worry, I plan to stick to just the 3 scoops at a still decent 549 calories, 30g protein, 89 carbs per shake. Consuming too much at once to start with is something I'd like advice about (which is the point of my post, more on this in a bit).

Surprisingly, for the price of this one (only 29 uk pounds) the ingredients look of high quality, but the most attractive point for me was that it lasts well over 20 days (I'll be going for just 1 serving 125g; 3 scoops of this a day).

The second shake is SCI-MX Omni-MX hardcore. Again, just like the Dymatize shake, I will only be consuming just 1 of the 2 recommended servings per day (post workout). The reason I went with this one is because it includes some other added goodies (creatine, hmb, decent bcaas) provides 563 calories, 45g protein, 80g carbs. I'm not really interested in extras, but let's face it - buying the extras separately would add to cost, right? So if it's included why not?

So, my base diet (without supplements would currently look something like this):

7am:- 2 x shredded wheat biscuits with semi skimmed milk, 1 tin tuna

11am:- 1 pint of milk, 1 slice of wholemeal with low fat butter

1 pm:- 1 jacket potato topped with cheese, 1 cup veggies

5pm:- 3 eggs, 1 slice wholemeal

7pm:- 1 pint milk

9pm:- 1 slice wholemeal with peanut butter

A little thin. But, as you can see, much protein comes from milk, tuna and eggs. Now, my idea was to add a shake in at 9am, and at 3pm right after my lifting workout. High calorie/carb intake in the morning to boost protein uptake, and one right after training. Both shakes would probably provide as indicated, say, around 1200 calories.

Sure, there is a lot of carbs/calories in there, but I've read that people focus too much on protein, when with gaining weight - calorie intake should also be focused. So I'm assuming calories should be added accordingly.

So here's the thing, how would I go about introducing those shakes? Would I start the 3 scoops immediately on both shakes, or start 1 scoop per shake each day and increase over a period of weeks?

Finally, some really basic stats: Height: 5'6, Weight: 154 pounds, BMI: 24.9, Fitness: Better than average.

Everything consumed with adequate amounts of water throughout the day.

Let me know what you think

Cheers
Mallorcian

i you want to do a clean bulk i would not use gainers 90% of them are loaded with sugar inspite of what the label says, you also should get enough protein in !! all !! your meals a least 35-45gr, focus mostly on meals and no so much on shakes, imo the only really important shake should be right after the workout. If i where to make a gainer shake i would put whey prot+casein+oatmeal maybe some natural peanut butter and honey or some almonds.

Welcome to EF!

Weight gainers are loaded with sugars - you'll put on weight but not the sort of weight that you are looking to given your BMI.

You need to up your caloric intake significantly; it looks like you have a better start than most on eating clean but you need to eat until you cant eat...then eat some more. Research GOMAD as well and find out if you think it is right for you - it definitely makes consuming mass calories a lot easier.

Also, what your doing in the gym is also very important. Research the madcow 5x5 and/or the Riptoe program to start packing some mass onto that frame.

Glad to have you here at EF! Hope you stick around. Gifting you 1 week platinum - do your research have fun!

Thank You both for the feedback! Will take that on board! Great place!

I do have another question though....Tuna.

I've done a lot of research about the dangers of mercury poisoning by eating excessive amounts of tuna etc. But all of this seems incredibly subjective, and therefore it's very difficult to read into it or just go for it.

I'm just looking for opinions rather than an informative set of rules. I know that tuna (along with other cheap fish/meats) is an excellent source of protein and again is relatively cost friendly.

Not wanting to cover old ground, but I'm thinking to myself, surely if it carried risks or was 'that' risky in the longer term, they would have to put a warning/disclaimer on the label? Hell, supplements even have them. But you know what I mean? There seems to be risks emerging all the time from different foods and drinks, yet if we read into everything, how limiting is that? And yes in moderation, but our food plans are not exactly in moderation are they? :biggrin:

So my question is, what are your opinions on two tins a day to compliment spaced meals? I like the idea of alternating different sources of protein, chicken is another good one that has caught my attention. I'm just thinking about the price, that is all. Though, I do find tuna chunks incredibly dry and a little bit boring, but I work around that using a little bit of vinegar/pepper!

Also, it's obvious drinking water sufficiently throughout the day which I do.

So yeah, that's my question done for the day.

Cheers

i wouldn't worry about it so much if i did i'd be worrying all the time about the 5 whole eggs, 2 or 3 cans of tuna, a hole lot of red meat in the weekends the test e that i'm shooting in my shoulders, the clembuterol i'm taking and so on and on, so if i where you a couple of cans of tuna would not be a problem.
My main source of protein is 1 chicken 2 eggs 3 tuna (this are the chipest) then 4 red meat 5 other seafood (salmon,shimp).
Try to get veggies with your 3 main meals of the day Broccoli, spinach, and asparagus are the best.

Thank You for the reply Manuelmcom

Nice to read a supportive post about the tuna, and good to read about your sources of protein too! I never let the sameness of tuna bore me, after all 1 tin = 23-25g of protein, that's quite generous! Plus being a solid serving of protein as well. Always enjoyed chicken stuffed in pitta bread with things like lettuce, tomatoes and low fat salad dressing etc. That's nice to the taste.

And broccoli is delicious, I'll definitely remember to focus some attention on veggies!

Cheers

get rid of partly skimmed milk and drink a gallon of whole milk a day. i dont know wtf wholemeal is. must be some european or australian thing. you should average %40 protein %40 carbs and %20 healthy fats. not a set number but a good average number that works for most ppl. use normal butter "real" butter not low fat whatever else crap they make out there. small amounts of these fats that are in real butter or olive oil are required by the body. just not too much. i primarily eat chicken 3 times a day usually. eggs for breakfast. red meat a 1 or 2 times a week. lots of veggies and greens. and real protein sources are wayyyy better than protein powders. u should be averaging at least! 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. if u want to bulk. eat till ur full then keep on eating and repeat and repeat

Top Bottom