Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

MS email me, need help with a vegan diet

Don't forget my favorite...SEMI-vegetarian. This is what a lot of poor students now call themselves to reflect that they eat very little meat because of the cost, but when someone else is doing the cooking then they'll usually be up for a triple serving of your best cut of prime steak. A lot of guys have also figured out that calling themselves semi-vego makes them more appealing to many women LOL.

Steel-I'm not sure of the differences myself! I'd like to gradually transition because as soon as I eat anything high fiber I gas up like a helium balloon! I don't eat dairy, started using soy milk, that's just adding extra calories now so I have to take something out. I want to get away from the fleshy foods...I feel so aweful when I go to the fairs!!!

Ah, MS, the old lentils, rice, coke and weed student diet. WELL I remember it. (coca cola, that is ...) But I was good enough to only finish off all the feta cheese in the Greek salad when out visiting :)

Debu - do you eat eggs? Because it's either that or soy isolate for protein, and either way, with or without fibre, which you need anyway, no matter your diet, we're talking big gas!

wilson6 said:
[email protected]

and.....no it is not for me. Had some Tofu at a client meeting the other day. Tasted like pickled latex caulk and gave me far more gas than baked beans, burgers and beer.

W6

I find it's best to take some tofu, sprouts, cheese, and lettuce, and put it all on top of a rare hamburger! Goofy vegan diets....

Will Brink

MS said:
I can't stand the stuff either. Just because a person chooses to not eat animal products it shouldn't mean they have to neglect their taste buds!

Wow, this is an old thread...

I wouldn't touch most tofu with a ten foot pole, but there's a locally-produced kind from the San Diego Soy Dairy that I love - it's almost like eating cream cheese. Very rich and meaty. Trader Joe's, Henry's, and Jimbo's chains in southern california carry it.

MS said:
It's funny you should say that Wilson6, cause soy beans bleed this stuff that looks reminiscent of latex when you crush them to make tofu.....
------------------------------------snip!-------------------------------------
.....You can also do some intersting stuff by freezing the tofu and then soaking what becomes a spongy thing in your favorite marinade. This is the only way I know of to get tofu to take up a decent flavor.

Perhaps Wilson can soak that freeze-dried 'stuff' in some nice RARE Beef 'juice'!!!!! Technically, it's not meat so the women should still be attracted by the 'semi-vego' appeal of this dish.

Wilson, just as a favour, I'll dispose of the source of that rare Beef Au' Jus for you! :p

Hey Debu!

Going vegetarian can mean different choices in food depending on what your prime motivator is. For instance, if you're just interested in the health benefits, you'd probably skip all dairy but you might eat fish. If you're of the no-killing philosophy, then most likely you wouldn't eat eggs or fish. If you're concerned with things like factory farms, you'd either just buy free range meat (assuming you like meat and you have $$) and free range eggs or you'd skip it altogether, but you might have no problem with fish. Or maybe you just won't eat flesh of any sort...whatever, the point is, as Steel pointed out, being vegetarian can mean different things.

Here's a list of some foods that I eat to give you an idea of what your choices could be.

1) eggs
2) cottage cheese: 1 cup has 30g protein
3)whey protein powder: 1 scoop usually around 20g protein
4) soy milk: identical nutritional profile to skim milk (8g protein), brand I recommend is Silk, regular, unflavored or Soy Dream (original)
5) canned tuna: 30g for one approximately 6 oz can
6) soy burgers: 1 burger has 18g protein <--im real tired of these
7) yogurt: around 8g-12g, varies by brand
8) cheeses, part skim Feta, part skim Mozzarella, soy cheddar cheese.....
9) Oatmeal (I think it had like 5g, double check)
10) whole wheat pita bread (i think like 5g, double check though)

There are also smaller amounts of protein in foods like lentils, grains and nuts. It does add up over a day. I rarely get below 100g, and the only straight up protein I eat lately is 1 can of tuna and 1 cup of cottage cheese which provides only 60g combined. I really do NOT like eating tofu so I can't help you there, though the sort I see in the supermarket in NJ is generally higher in carbs than in protein. Maybe if I figured out some Chinese or Thai recipes I would be a fan. You might try this stuff called tempeh, which is a very grainy tofu-like product with a lot of protein in it and very few carbs/fat. I bought it once and I didn't like it, but I also don't know much about how to prepare it.

Oh yeah, and there are plenty of soy products that are high in protein. Just go to the vegetarian section of your grocery store and look for a brand called Yves, that's the best tasting one out there. You can find things that don't have lots of chemicals. Just look.

A few typical meals from my diet:

1) .5 cup cooked oats
4 egg whites scrambled with peppers and onions

2) 1 cup cottage cheese
banana

3) 1 can of tuna made with canola oil and balsamic vinegar, mixed with part skim mozz cheese and sweet basil and lots of veggies, like tomatoes and peppers and onions
Served in a whole wheat pita with lettuce
Salad

Top Bottom