Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

IF I eat tuna/mackeral every day do I need EFA tabs?

Tuna and mackerel every day could give you pretty high levels of mercury. I'd switch it up more to include smaller fish. But yeah, if you eat fish every day, you're probably getting more than enough Omega 3's

This is from NRDC: Mercury Contamination in Fish - Consumer Guide to Mercury in Fish

LEAST MERCURY
Enjoy these fish:
Anchovies
Butterfish
Catfish
Clam
Crab (Domestic)
Crawfish/Crayfish
Croaker (Atlantic)
Flounder*
Haddock (Atlantic)*
Hake
Herring
Mackerel (N. Atlantic, Chub)
Mullet
Oyster
Perch (Ocean)
Plaice
Pollock
Salmon (Canned)**
Salmon (Fresh)**
Sardine
Scallop*
Shad (American)
Shrimp*
Sole (Pacific)
Squid (Calamari)
Tilapia
Trout (Freshwater)
Whitefish
Whiting

MODERATE MERCURY
Eat six servings or less per month:
Bass (Striped, Black)
Carp
Cod (Alaskan)*
Croaker (White Pacific)
Halibut (Atlantic)*
Halibut (Pacific)
Jacksmelt
(Silverside)
Lobster
Mahi Mahi
Monkfish*
Perch (Freshwater)
Sablefish
Skate*
Snapper*
Tuna (Canned
chunk light)
Tuna (Skipjack)*
Weakfish (Sea Trout)

HIGH MERCURY
Eat three servings or less per month:
Bluefish
Grouper*
Mackerel (Spanish, Gulf)
Sea Bass (Chilean)*
Tuna (Canned Albacore)
Tuna (Yellowfin)*

HIGHEST MERCURY
Avoid eating:
Mackerel (King)
Marlin*
Orange Roughy*
Shark*
Swordfish*
Tilefish*
Tuna
(Bigeye, Ahi)*

* Fish in Trouble! These fish are perilously low in numbers or are caught using environmentally destructive methods. To learn more, see the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Blue Ocean Institute, both of which provide guides to fish to enjoy or avoid on the basis of environmental factors.
** Farmed Salmon may contain PCB's, chemicals with serious long-term health effects.

IMHO, yes. Unless you're consuming at least 2 5-6oz portions of fatty fish per day, you could benefit from EFA's.
And both tuna and mackerel can lead to issues with mercury, as stated above, so...

i would say mercury is a bit of an overconcern... i have yet to hear a story on the news of some gym rat dying from mecruy poisoning, and i know plenty of guys just in this area that live off of tuna...

Yep, bodybuilders eat tons of the stuff yet I never hear of any issues....

I ate tuna for lunch everyday when I was in Kindergarten through the 6th grade (I was easy to please), and I eat crap tons of it right now, never a problem.

Top Bottom