Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How do you count your calories - cooked or raw?

ho_steppa

I've done a few searches, I couldn't find too much info on the subject here, correct me if I'm wrong with some links, please.

I've been having some serious questions with my diet as of late and how I have been counting my calories. Some foods I measure raw, while others, I measure cooked.

Example: I measure about 270 grams of raw egg whites for breakfast and record macros as follows:
130 calories
29.44g protein
2g carbs
.44g fat

I have never taken the weight after I cook em, although I know it would be much less. But for things like chicken, tilapia, and steak, I measure and record the weight after I cook it.

Another thing that is confusing me is the different information I am getting from websites like fitday, caloriecount, and the nutritional info from the bag of costco frozen chicken breasts. They are all different and some of the differences are not slight, either.

Is there some industry standard when it comes to weighing food that I might have missed over the years?

hmm, I don't think it was me you asked...but yea fitday, I've known about that site for some time now, never used it though. I had built my own nice sized database of foods on an excel spreadsheet and just use that. But I just recently compared nutritional readings on the same food/portion on fitday, calorie count, and an actual bag of the food and got totally different reading. So I just feel like my daily calorie counts might be way off

so youre saying your sheet wasnt accurate? or fit day wasnt? or something else was off.. i didnt mean i asked you i meant the site asks whether your food is cooked or not. im gonna give it a try too since im starting cutting next week

so youre saying your sheet wasnt accurate? or fit day wasnt? or something else was off.. i didnt mean i asked you i meant the site asks whether your food is cooked or not. im gonna give it a try too since im starting cutting next week

Something is off, not sure which one is most accurate. For example, 140grams of chicken breast:

Fitday:
274 calories, 41.4g protein, 0g carbs, 10.8g fat

Caloriecount.com
231 calories, 43.4g protein, 0g carbs, 5g fat

Costco Frozen Chicken Tenderloins
137.5 calories, 31.25g protein, 0g carbs, 1.25g fat

Those are huge differences for 140g of chicken! So whenever I cook raw chicken (diced, in a skillet, covered, with a bit of EVOO) I have been using the nutrition info off the Costco bag of Frozen Chicken in my daily calculations, even though I don't eat them anymore, just for simplicity sake.

Another example are the Kirkland Turkey Burgers.
1 patty = 151 grams
200 calories, 35g protein, 2g carbs, 6g fat

It weighs much less when it is cooked, so do I have to adjust the calorie/macro numbers as well?

Top Bottom