Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

help with protein cycling!

CLEMDOG

Hey guys, I'm thinking about starting to cycle my protein. I've always pretty much ate the same amt all the time. Lately I think I've stressed my kidneys from eating alot of protein for extended periods of time and I'm looking to start cycling it.

I've heard ways to cycle but not sure on this one, what do you think?

5 days, during the week, eat high protein. for me that is normally about 250+grms/day. Then on Sat and Sun drop my protein intake to about 1-1.2grms/lb bodyweight. I weight about 167lbs so that would be about 170-200grms/day.

What I'm concerned about is what about the workouts later in the week like my FRI and SAT workouts? By lowering my protein intake on Sat and Sun wouldnt I be depriving those muscle groups the protein they need to grow, whereas my workouts early in the week would be having plenty of protein to grow (250+grms/day).?

I've never heard of cycling protien. Why do you think your kidneys are stressed? As long as you're getting enough water, that shouldn't be a problem.

Clemdog i do the same thing. I cycle my protein just like you described. I just make sure it's 2/per week. I believe your body gets used to the high amounts of protein, and giving it a break will enhance protein absorption when you shoot the intake higher. I've read from some pros that do this as well, and have said the same thing. Even if what they said was false claim, i still believe in it, and i do feel better cycling the protein.

In another thought about this. Doesn't the body get used to just about everything you do? Like cardio and weight lifting. You have to keep changing routines to keep seeing gains right? Or change intensity, or change duration etc. Thing is to keep the body guessing. Same goes for dieting, why do you think there are cheat days and carb up days. WEll i apply the same principle to protein cycling.

Hope this helps
lates

gym- I think they may be due to the fact that my BP has been abnormally high, especially for my age. I'm almost 21 and a few days ago, starting about 2 weeks ago my BP was around 150-160/100-110. The last few days it is starting to improve, now its around 140/90. I've dropped my diet and kept my protein intake low for the last week. I went in 2 days ago and had a Stress Echo done and an EKG and everything was normal. Today I had my blood drawn to check liver enzyme levels and check creatinine levels to check for kidney stess. Hopefully those will be ok too, I'm just baffled as to why my BP is so high. I dont know if it was coincidence or not but this started happening when I started using 1,4 butandiol a couple times a week.

007- your definitely right on what you had said, I think I got the idea from you, i dont remember. Whats your weight and how much protein do you eat on the 'on' days as compared to the 'off' days?

I believe in it a bit too, I don't know whether it all balances out in the end though if during the low part you do as much damage as benefit from the high part, at least when lifting normal. But as for breaking through platueus it sounds sound to me. If your weights are stagnant go low and just try to keep em where they are no growth needed to keep em there, then when you hit the protien high again mabe your platueu will be blown. Thats the only time I myself right now would considered doing it.

I'm relatively new to training (lil over year) so my stalls are jokes compared to some other guys never long enough to try this for myself. Though I have had protien lulls when there simply no damn food to eat until someone finally goes shopping, and I've pondered it alot when I thought about keto and how they eat low protien.

Just my thoughts, a big waste of your time if you read em :)

about your BP there are many contributing factors to increased BP. Even if you trained the day before and took your BP it will still be slightly elevated. If you were walking around, nervous, it will raise your BP. Point being there are too many contributing factors that could elevate your BP. If you really want accurate, don't train the day before or the day you take it, relax and measure it. If you are laying down your BP will be lower than if you were sitting, and it would be even higher if you were standing. I'm just giving you some facts so you don't get too worried about this. My regular is 120/80.... and if i take it next day of workout, or after work when i'm nervous/tired it'll be up to 150/90. Normal BP systolic is below 139 and diastolic is below 89. Once you pass this it's stage 1 hypertension. All i'm saying is that you should take these other factors into consideration and retake BP again. Hypertension is diagnosed when BP is elevated on 3 different visits.

By the way the ECHO and ECG were taken to see if there was hypertrophy (increase in size) of the heart. The left ventricle of the heart enlarges as it works to pump blood against the elevated pressure.

Your liver enzymes could also be slightly elevated. This again comes from the stress of workout out and high protein diet. From all i've read, it's nothing to be alarmed about, and they will go back down. If you're not dehydrated and not taking creatine your kidneys should be fine.

What you can do about it? What we recommend in the hospital is to lose weight (fat), restrict your sodium and fat intake, increasing intake of fruits/veggies, and encourage physical activity. Tobacco and alcohol should be avoided. Try reducing your stress levels.

that's a lot of info.... hope it helps :spin:

thanks Risky for all your input. I understand that BP can be elevated by many different factors including anxiety, physical excercise, even standing. However in the last 2 weeks I've had an almost constant pressure and tightness in my chest with a slightly labored breathing. Classical symptoms of hypertension. I just dont understand the acute hypertension that I'm experiencing. My normal systolic is usually in the vacinity of 135-140. My diastolic is normally around 80. Unfortunately these numbers are high normal for someone my age. I guess it just comes with the BB lifestyle.

My dad is a cardiovascular PA and scheduled the Stress echo and EKG for me due to the acuteness of my symptoms. I understand that the stress echo looks for valve insufficiencies and also looks for any hypertrophy, especially the left ventricle which is the one that is normally hypertrophied from AS as well as chronic hypertension.

I drink lotsa water, probably 2+ gallons day, lean, probably less than 10% adipose tissue, sodium intake is normal if not lower, eat plenty of veggies, very active, dont smoke, do drink some, but thats normally just binge drinking occassionally with friends. but hell I just cant figure it out, maybe something will come to light when I recieve my liver enzyme and creatinine work. Do you think it had anything to do with the 1,4 that I was taking the same time these symptoms started to appear?

You say you work in a hospital? What do you do? I'm at college doing either Preprofessional Health Studies or Prephysicians Assisstance program. havent completely decided which one yet. :)

i'm studying to be an Anesthesiologist. Right before i read your 1,4andro i was thinking to ask you if you were using prohormones. I know 1,4 will increase the number of RBC's. As far as increases in Blood Pressure... I've heard that prohormones will elevate your BP. Yohimbe and Ephedrine do it too. I remember i had read that, and when i was taking 4-AD and Eph.only as a preworkout booster... by BP skyrocketed. I got so scared i stopped. It took a while for it to go back down but it's normal again. I wouldn't doubt if the 1,4 had a big part to do w/ it.

If you believe it's the 1,4 drop it and retake BP in a couple of weeks. I'll place my bet that it has to do w/ this.

Top Bottom