Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ephedra And Ephedrine..are they one in the same?

M

MommaKin

This is just a new excerpt from a news show based in Toronto, my city. I've heard all of this danger stuff before about Ephedra, but, am wondering if Ephedra, Ephedrine, Norephedrine and any other Phedrine are in the same family or whatever.....
I'll do my own research, as I always do, but, I'm wondeirng if anyone here knows off hand.

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20020109-010/page.asp

Nervous Rx

It’s called ephedra, and Health Canada doesn’t want you to use it. It's asking stores to voluntarily remove products using the stimulant from their shelves, worrying the effects outweigh the benefits. “There has been over 60 Canadian adverse drug reactions reported for products containing ephedra and ephedrine,” explains Health Canada’s Dr. Brian Gillespie. “These reactions have included abnormal heart rhythms, psychotic reactions, seizures, heart attacks and death.”

The substance is contained in weight loss products, and is frequently used by athletes to enhance performance. It can be dangerous if you exceed 8 milligrams per dose or 32 milligrams per day, or if it's used in combination with other stimulants, such as caffeine. “If you go too high with the dose, your heart will start pounding,” advises Bal Chokker of Nature’s Source, which sells herbal products. “You will start sweating.”

Nasal sprays and decongestants which have an 8-digit Drug Identification Number or any product with less than 8 milligrams of ephedra, aren’t affected by the order.

Health Canada warns consumers to watch for products:

With a dose unit of more than eight milligrams of ephedrine.
That recommend a single dose greater than eight milligrams or more than 32 milligrams a day.
That combine ephedrine and stimulants, such as caffeine.
That claim to aid appetite suppression, promote weight loss, enhance metabolism, increase exercise tolerance, aid body-building, cause euphoria or other stimulative effects.

I believe ephedra is the actual root, with ephedrine being the active ingredient in the extract.

well, hot damn..look at you, spent....lean and smart..

:)

spentagn said:
I believe ephedra is the actual root, with ephedrine being the active ingredient in the extract.

MommaKin said:
well, hot damn..look at you, spent....lean and smart..

:)

In actuality, I know the one isn't true, and I'm working on both. Make of that statement what you will.

Also, the main source of ephedrine used in fat burners is Ma Huang root. In turn, ephedra alkaloids are the name of the what is extracted, and is usually standardized to a certain potency of ephedrine.

You'll need someone else to explain it better than that.

Yes, I think spentagn is right. In my opinion, it's better to use Ephedrine HCL or Ephedrine Sulfate rather than any of the herbal preparations. You get a much more accurately dosed product this way.

Oh yeah and I can't believe that article. Greater than 8mg or more than 32mg a day?!? I can take more than 32mg in a sitting with ease (50mg easily, with upwards of 150mg total in a day). I don't think everyone should be taking that high a dose, but 8mg? come on, you might as well not even buy the product.

EngiCream

MommaKin said:
“If you go too high with the dose, your heart will start pounding,” advises Bal Chokker of Nature’s Source, which sells herbal products. “You will start sweating.”

Oh my, call me a fuckin' ambulance...

Ephedrine HCl is synthetic d-ephedrine. Ephedra is an extract from the plant. It contains different isomers of ephedrine including sudafed (yup, the stuff you buy from the drugstore). Sudafed and ephedrine are mirror images of each other- like right and left handed versions of ephedrine. Sudafed doesn't have all the properties of ephedrine.

Andy

Andy's given you the chemistry. The important thing is not to mix up ephedra and ephedrine, so you get your dose right. Ephedra is the plant extract, usually from the Chinese Ma Huang plant, but ephedrine is just the active chemical itself.

So ephedra is to ephedrine what marijuana is to THC.

Since ephedra is only partly ephedrine, you can consume a lot mroe of it than pure ephedrine. Read your labels carefully or you'll end up shaking like the old Imperial Hotel in the Tokyo earthquake.

Top Bottom