Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Duretics to avoid gains?

Now I will preface this by saying I know diet control is the best option however, for vacations, holidays or moments where you don't have the best options available for some reason (money, no time, health problems, etc) would it be beneficial to take a diuretic that TARGETS MUSCLE. That is where glucose is stored. As long as your diet is decent and low on fructose, you have to fill these reserves first before you gain fat. If you have a bad diet one day it would make sense to rid your glucose before eating again especially carbs. You can do this with high impact exercise if you have enough time and stamina. Often though we don't allow for exercise time to counterbalance the buffet or Christmas dinner.

I've found limited studies that mention if you rid the muscle of water you also drain the glycogen/stored sugar.

Has anyone used this theory? The key is to use a diuretic that targets MUSCLES not just random storage between other cells. So something like Xpel would work, most otc's would not.

Last edited:
Diuretics are a completely bad idea. Cheat meals are just fine as long as you get right back on your diet as soon as possible. Also, work harder in the gym.

Water is so important to the body, you don't want to mess that up. Dehydration can hit you without warning and before you know it you're in the hospital.

It's been a long time since I did cellular chemistry, but as I remember it, your body doesn't really care if it's glucose or fructose. They are stereo isomers (mirror image of each other) that you are able to flip with an enzyme called an ... isomerase? I do remember that the change from glucose to fructose is part of glycolysis, how your body breaks down sugar in both anaerobic and aerobic respiration. So I really don't think consuming fructose instead of glucose matters.

Sorry, had to deal with family matter. If you're going to eliminate glycogen, then you have to do it aerobically, or high intensity, like you said. Weightlifting or anaerobic workouts you basically split sugar molecules in two, then your liver puts them back together to form a new glucose molecule, chains them together to make more glycogen. When you exhaust your glycogen, like after a marathon or triathlon, you're out of all sugars, you're weak and breaking down. You have to replace the carb's, it's what your brain runs on. So any workout that is so intense as to exhaust your glycogen, is going to require you to eat to replace it. Your body will usually try to store more so it won't run out, hopefully, this is how you build endurance.
I haven't heard that diuretics cause the stored glycogen to leave the cells along with water, and it doesn't make sense chemically. Glycogen is a relatively long molecule compared to water. Should stay stuck in the cells or liver. (But I'm just guessing that part)

There are very limited studies that I found on Google scholar that mentioned that muscle targeting duretics empty glycogen which makes sense because the water is holding the glycogen.If you get rid of the water you flush out what was in the water. Ketosis diets also flush muscular glycogen because they are duretics by nature. I will have to see if I can find those studies that I saw a few months ago. After work

What are some good sources on this issue of glucose glycogen etc? I didn't know glucose or glycogen could become fructose in the body. Fructose from my understanding is just a recipe for fat gain since it goes straight to your liver and then fat cells if you are all carbbed up.

i woudent bother. and its just water ... plus its good to have a cheat day every week, your stressing about things much far apart. i would not do it

It's been a long time since I did cellular chemistry, but as I remember it, your body doesn't really care if it's glucose or fructose. They are stereo isomers (mirror image of each other) that you are able to flip with an enzyme called an ... isomerase? I do remember that the change from glucose to fructose is part of glycolysis, how your body breaks down sugar in both anaerobic and aerobic respiration. So I really don't think consuming fructose instead of glucose matters.
trust me it matters what type of sugar...
video worth watching>

there is alot on it out there if you look. though main worry is processed HFCS, fruits atleast have some fiber and vitamins, but still something to consider.
I rec bananas since its gluco not fructo.

It doesn't work like that. Diuretics simply pull water out of your cells extracellular matrix. They won't act on stored water in glycogen stores.

Diuretics are really not good for you. Manipulating your body's water and electrolyte levels are a terrible idea. People have DIED at local bodybuilding show from diuretic abuse.

Top Bottom