Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dextrose (sp?)

T

t3c

Hello, I hear many of you saying you take Dextrose (sp?) post workout, does this give you energy? Its a sugar of some sort right?

Dextrose is glucose. The reason it is often in a bodybuilders postworkout meal is due to its great insulin spiking ability and muscle glycogen restoring properties. Your body has glycogen stores in the liver and muscles (maybe other places too? but I don't know). During your workout, your muscle's use muscle glycogen (maybe liver too? I don't know) which results in these stores being lower after you workout. A lot of research supports the idea of eating high GI glucose(dextrose) based carbs after working out to refill these stores. I know I definitely notice a difference in doing so and many others on this board do too. During your next workout, your performance may be worse than if you don't eat a postworkout meal than if you did, but I'm not sure of the reason..energy or halted recovery.

I remember when I use to eat fructose based simple carbs after working out and I did not get the same effect as when I ate glucose based carbs. My muscles just did not feel recovered or as full with that regimen. From my understanding, the research indicates that fructose does not refill muscle glycogen (at least under most conditions), but only liver glycogen.

postworkout you want to consume the quickest absorbing carbohydrate you can, b/c after your workout you have your "anabolic window of oppurtunity". carbohydrates restore muscle glycogen as well as cause an insulin spike and insulin shuttles certain nutrients to where they need to go (such as protein so you should also be taking in around 50 g. whey protein postworkout). to determine how quickly carbs are absorbed the glycemic index was created which rates foods and how fast they are absorbed 100 being the best, dextrose is second on the list behind maltodextrin. It is a simple sugar and is a great source for carbs postworkout but should definitely not be used any other time of the day as it causes insulin spikes which are only good after postworkout to stop catabolism, other times in the day they will give you energy you do not require so you will store the nutrients as fat. the reason most people prefer dextrose over maltodextrin is b/c maltodextrin is a complex carb, though it has very weak polymer bonds so it isnt that important you can use either or. you can get dextrose cheap at www.supplementdirect.com, 11 lbs for 10$

killa in manila said:
or you can take 2tbs of honey!

actually honey is half fructose, and fructose is no good as it only refills liver glycogen not muscle glycogen. plus 2 tbsp honey only gives u 37 g. carbs and 2 tbsp is already a ton to eat.

killa in manila said:
or you can take 2tbs of honey!

honey is not the best post workout carbs source

dextrose + maltodextrins is better

hey 110%, i have both dextrose and maltodextrin. i've been using the maltodextrin for my post w/o shake. now i'm going to switch to the dextrose, will the difference be that noticeable?

also, would the maltodextrin be an o.k. choice for another shake as a meal replacement if combined w/ protein? let's say 10 am or 2 pm?

last Q, 1/3 cup of dextrose w/ 44 grams of protein for 170 lb 5'8" guy @ 7%bf post workout? 1/4 cup? 1/2 cup?

Top Bottom