Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cottage Cheese Questions

ZKaudio

Plat Hero
Platinum
From reading on this board over the last 2 years, I have learned that many people use cottage cheese in their diets whether cutting or bulking for it's quality time releasing properties. However, I was recently over at another board and read this post by a VERY knowledgeable member:

Proteins are not all created equal - both as a raw ingredient or substrate - nor as a finished product - it involves particular specifics to the basic raw substrate (what it is - where it came from) and moves to how it was processed (produced) - and depending on specific technology - the actual final product. Cottage cheese is what would be termed a “primary” dairy product – meaning it is directly produced from a dairy source – unlike casein protein which is produced from processing a “primary” dairy source – in this case milk. The cottage cheese will not have as high of a bioavailability nor as complete an amino acid matrix as a protein powder which has been processed to meet (and deliver) a specific nutritional profile.

Casein is manufactured much in the same manner that whey is processed in that the milk is centrifuged (spun at very intense high speed) seperating the fat and toxins from the protein structure - the remaining protein structure is then processed through membrane technology under high pressure further removing more fat and therein concentrating the protein structure making a protein dense resolve that is then further processed through a "spray drying" process - where the liquid is turned into a powder by being sprayed (in a fine mist) into a drying chamber that turns it from a liquid to a solid. So you see in fact - the casein or caseinates used in protein powders is NOT the same as the whole milk casein that you would be consuming in eating cottage cheese. The unrefined casein in cottage cheese actually coats the intestinal wall (like a mucus) and blocks absorption and utilization of the majority of the amino acids (protein).

The truth is the casein and caseinates that are used in the manufacture of protein powders - is processed and refined using the same type of processes as whey. Ion-exchange and Microfiltration are two other methods of manufacturing or processing the whey. Ion-exchange the whey is acidified to the point of the protein having a positive charge and then they are mixed with a resin (like a water softening agent) which has a negative charge - these two link - leaving behind unwanted fat and lactose - which is then rinsed away. Microfiltration is a combination of ultrafiltration and diafiltration where the fat and lactose is removed by pressing it through special membranes or ceramic membrane technology. These are the filtration methods used for the process of creating WPI from WPC. Both WPC and WPI have distinct and specific nutritional perimeters and lactoferrins and immuoglobbulins that make them unique and both have benefits and drawbacks - I prefer to use a combination blend of the two to harness all of the benefits of whey protein fractions. Casein is made by seperating the protein fractions from the fat fractions by spinning at high speed and then pressing through membrane (filters) to remove more fat and spray dried to make a protein dense concentration (powder) known as casein or caseinate. Whey is produced using the curd from cheese production - it also is spun at high speed to remove fat - it further processed through high pressure and membrane technology - further concentrating the protein density and removing fat - it is then dried and converted into a protein dense concentration (powder) known as whey protein - specific processes during production will determine if it is a whey protein concentrate or a whey protein isolate. The difference in the protein powders then becomes one of amino acid concentration, amino acid structure (matrix), protein concentration, nitrogen and biological values.

posted by Terry Giles at www.musclemag.com in the diet forum.

We have some very knowledgeable people here, can I get some other input on this? I find it very intriguing.

Very interesting thanks :) :)

karma for you

So he talked about filtration processes of knowing how to extract casein from dairy/milk products and from whey. This does not mean it is worthless. This is a writer for musclemag, who, correct me if I am wrong, has their own line of supplements?

Cottage cheese forms a bolus in the stomach from the addition of the HCL secretions in the stomach, thus slowing down absorption into the intestine, due to its having to be re-liquified. This does not equate to a decrease in absorption from anything I have read. This decreased absorption rate is beneficial in many instances for dieting.

Cottage cheese is high in sodium, which can have a water-holding effect for those sensitive to water retention. Switching from low/whole fat cottage cheese to nonfat versions will help with decreasing fat intakes as well.

I could care less if my protein is from dairy or not. Unless you are ultra-sensitive to lactose-intolerance, then I just don't see a big deal here. Also, most cottage cheese has very low levels of lactose anyway.

Real-life experiences continue to support the fact that cottage cheese is a great protein source with a balanced diet.

BMJ

Gee i hope this isn't right, i love my cottage cheese, i eat it every night before hitting the sack, anyone else have any info on this subject.

no worries, just eat it. dont take to heart eveything you read, if you did, you would probably starve to death. eat up.

Top Bottom