Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

canned salmon

Shinobi

Have u guys ever tried canned salmon?
If yes, it taste good? I eat salmon every dinner and its expensive but I love it...Although probably the canned version of salmon should be cheaper.

I buy both I like to use the canned for making samon patties. it doesn't taste as good as fresh and the portions are usually much smaller (1/3 the size) then what you would buy in the store.

canned salmon does not taste good, is usually full of sodium
but is a good alternative to tuna

Do you know if omega 3s are destroyed/damaged by the heating process ?

I think it tastes ok :)

I'm also wondering about canned salmon's omega 3 content. Because they are raised in farms for some of their life, does this mean less omega 3's?

chillin408...when I first moved to san jose I asked the guys in the meat/fish department the source of the atlantic salmon that they sell at safeway. it is all farmed. I'm not sure where you buy yours at though.

I can't see why the omega 3 content would be less(nor have I ever read anything regarding that). but I know that the majority of farmed fish are injected with dies to improve the color and the enviroment of farmed fish is less than optimum due to the high concentration of fish in a small area. let's just say there is a lot of shit eating going on with farmed fish.

Last edited:
Canned salmon, canned tuna/albacore, and canned crab are pretty much my diet....LOL. I know it is pretty sad. But for on the go meals that also fit into my CKD diet they are perfect.

My favorite out of the three are crab and salmon...tuna I need to add something like salsa or lemon juice to choke it down.

~toga
:angel:

Some time ago, someone else was asking about farm-raised salmon and omega 3's, which led to me asking. I think the question was raised because, well I"m not sure of this, but that salmon get their omega 3's from algae and maybe their was no algae in farms.

Canned salmon tastes a lot better than Tuna..
Nothing in my view ,tastes worse than Tuna;I guess not a TUna fan..

Canned or not ,salmon is a real treat!!

Here is the answer:
From www.alaskaseafood.org

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
An excellent source of protein, Alaska Canned Salmon is high in Omega-3 fatty acids and contains all the essential amino acids as well as Vitamin A, and niacin and riboflavin from the B-complex group. In fact, the soft tiny bones are an excellent source of calcium.

Top Bottom