Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tuna

pitbull

Ok, I met this female bodybuilder who was definately looking buff and she told me that she doesn't eat tuna fish from a can because the Mercury in it degrates muscle tissue. I've never heard anything like this before. I didn't even know there was Mercury in tuna. She said it comes from the nets, or something like that, which they catch the fish in. Does anyone else know anything about this. True False? What do you guys think?

Im an ex tuna fisherman and have never heard that before. I know for a fact that the US fleet which I worked for used a high grade twin for their nets and cant see how that could be not to mention we were in the middle of the ocean where the water is very clean. I will double check with some fishing buddies.

:cool:

Thanks for the info Weam. I didn't see anything in those articles that shows Mercury affecting muscle tissue. So it seems safe to eat still. It did recommend keeping to less than 5 cans a week to avoid the Nervous system complications. I think I'm going to listen to that, just in case.

pitbull said:
Ok, I met this female bodybuilder who was definately looking buff and she told me that she doesn't eat tuna fish from a can because the Mercury in it degrates muscle tissue

When you mentioned from a can, does the can have something to do with it? I love ahi sushi. But that's caught in nets also.

Also: They net the fish with skin and remove it for canning right. So if there was significant levels of Mercury on the outside it's gonna be reduced after the skin is removed??????????? right?

Hey too much of any man made shits bad for us nowadays

From what I read from the articles Weam posted, the Mercury comes from the air, land, and water. The fish get contaminated through the water they run through their gills. The articles said the Mercury came from the burning of fossil fuels and from the earth naturally releasing it into the atmosphere. So it's not from the nets but from the water. I'm going to keep fish consumption to under the 2.2 pounds per week they recommend.

This has got to be some environmental bull Sh!^. I'd consider myself a walking experiment in tuna, and I'm happy with the results.

I'm sorry pitbull, check this page Click here

Autism and mercury poisoning damage the: brain/nerve cells; eyes; immune system; gastrointestinal system; muscle control; and the speech center according to this web-site

Last edited:
Yep, big issue in news a couple of month ago. Basically it's the larger predatorial fish such as shark, other fish and tuna were included. They say that the albacore tuna has less of mercury in it. It is the smaller oceanic fish that have lots of mercury, like sardines and shit from Moracco and waters like that. Big fish eat little fish and that's were tuna can have problems. Its from rain water and runoffs, not nets. I believe its the FDA site that has consumption limits. It basically boils down to 5 cans a week. But that is for the average person whom may have other health problems where mercury could be a problem. Yes, it effects the nerves. How it relates to muscle, I didn't read on that. Shit I eat about 10 cans a week and I'm alright. So, eat your frickin tuna. Lot of other shit to worry about. You can wear you gloves and respirators and eat the earths purest foods and your still gonna die someday.
Juice on!

DAMN. I'D LOVE TO BE A TUNA FISHERMAN! WHAT A JOB.

I CONSIDER MYSELF A TUNA FISHERMAN OF A DIFFERENT SORT :)

HEY PITT, I DON'T THINK TUNA IN CANS CONTAINS ANY MORE MERCURY THAN FRESH TUNA, BUT I CAN'T PROVE THAT. HOW WOULD NYLON NETTING ADD TO THE MERCURY CONCENTRATION OF TUNA?

ONE THING I DON'T EAT IS BOTTOM-FEEDING FRESHWATER FISH, LIKE CATFISH. THOSE FUCKERS ARE SO CONTAMINATED, THEY ARE LIKE CHEMICAL SPONGES.

TUNA ARE OPEN OCEAN FISH. I WOULD THINK CONC. OF MERCURY WOULD BE LOWER THAN AVERAGE. LESS SO THAN HALIBUT, FLOUNDER, SOLE, CRAB, OR OTHER BOTTOM DWELLING SEA FOOD.

Top Bottom