Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A single text message can crash your iPhone

hanselthecaretaker

High End Bro
Platinum
A text message can cripple your iPhone.

A critical security flaw has been found in the SMS system for the iPhone. According to IDG, Mac OS X security experts Charlie Miller and Colin Mulliner revealed that a specially coded text message could remotely crash an iPhone.

It's possible that the security hole could pave the way for an attacker to run malicious code on the iPhone that would allow it to access the GPS, microphone or internet connection.

Miller did admit that he hadn't found a way to access those functions, but doesn't rule it out. "I don't have a working exploit for it, just a suspicious looking crash," he said.

The stripped down version of OS X that powers the iPhone is still relatively secure, according to Miller. Applications on the phone run inside their own sandboxes, which should restrict them from tapping into portions of the device that shouldn't be available. But for one reason or another, the SMS function isn't as protected and could give an attacker root access.

The security experts have already shared their findings with Apple, which hopefully means the hole will be patched up in an upcoming software update – preferably before someone takes advantage of the security flaw with nefarious intentions.

A Single Text Message Can Cripple Your iPhone - Tom's Guide

"It just works!"

lol at the idiots that buy into this shit, and at a premium pricepoint no less.

A text message can cripple your iPhone.

A critical security flaw has been found in the SMS system for the iPhone. According to IDG, Mac OS X security experts Charlie Miller and Colin Mulliner revealed that a specially coded text message could remotely crash an iPhone.

It's possible that the security hole could pave the way for an attacker to run malicious code on the iPhone that would allow it to access the GPS, microphone or internet connection.

Miller did admit that he hadn't found a way to access those functions, but doesn't rule it out. "I don't have a working exploit for it, just a suspicious looking crash," he said.

The stripped down version of OS X that powers the iPhone is still relatively secure, according to Miller. Applications on the phone run inside their own sandboxes, which should restrict them from tapping into portions of the device that shouldn't be available. But for one reason or another, the SMS function isn't as protected and could give an attacker root access.

The security experts have already shared their findings with Apple, which hopefully means the hole will be patched up in an upcoming software update – preferably before someone takes advantage of the security flaw with nefarious intentions.

A Single Text Message Can Cripple Your iPhone - Tom's Guide

"It just works!"

lol at the idiots that buy into this shit, and at a premium pricepoint no less.

I already had issues with iPhone and MobileMe, that was just losing 750 addresses, numbers and notes. I hope I don't lose anything else...

But it is a pretty cool piece of equipment

What is the monthly price for a single user to have access to the 'net/text/everything for an iphone user?

I don't even have text on my cell. It's cheap as shit. I can't see paying out $80/month or whatever.

Top Bottom