Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

To continue this weeks theme of racism: NBA players believe dress code is "racist."

75th

ololollllolloolloloolllol
EF VIP
Pacers' Jackson Criticizes NBA Dress Code
Oct 19 10:45 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

By CLIFF BRUNT
Associated Press Writer

INDIANAPOLIS

Indiana guard Stephen Jackson believes the NBA's new ban on bling- bling is racially motivated, but says he will abide by the rules.

The NBA has announced that a dress code will go into effect at the start of the season. Players will be required to wear business-casual attire when involved in team or league business. They can't wear visible chains, pendants or medallions over their clothes.

Jackson, who is black, said the NBA's new rule about jewelry targets young black males because chains are associated with hip-hop culture, and he said the league is afraid of becoming "too hip-hop." In protest, he wore four chains to the Pacers' exhibition game against San Antonio on Tuesday night.

Boston Celtics star Paul Pierce agreed that the new rule targeted young, black players.

"When I saw the part about chains, hip hop and throwback jerseys, I think that's part of our culture," Pierce said. "The NBA is young black males."

Philadelphia's Allen Iverson also was critical of the new rule, which the NBA made teams aware of in a memo Monday.

"I feel like if they want us to dress a certain way, they should pay for our clothes," he said. "It's just tough, man, knowing that all of a sudden you have to have a dress code out of nowhere. I don't think that's still going to help the image of the league at all."

Added Golden State guard Jason Richardson: "They want to sway away from the hip-hop generation. You think of hip-hop right now and think of things that happen like gangs having shootouts in front of radio stations.

Richardson added that nicer clothing wasn't necessarily the best way to determine the character of the players.

"You still wear a suit, you still could be a crook," Richardson said in Oakland, Calif. "You see all what happened with Enron and Martha Stewart. Just because you dress a certain way doesn't mean you're that way.

"Hey, a guy could come in with baggy jeans, a do-rag and have a Ph.D., and a person who comes in with a suit could be a three-time felon. So, it's not what you wear, it's how you present yourself."

Jackson defended his actions on Wednesday, but said he won't allow his feelings to cause a distraction once the regular season starts.

"They don't want your chains to be out, all gaudy and shiny. But that's the point of them," he said. "I love wearing my jewelry. But I love my job. I love playing basketball more than I love getting fined and getting suspended."

Jackson said he had enough problems last year, when he was suspended for 30 games for his role in the November melee between Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans in Auburn Hills, Mich.

"You have to listen to the people who employ you," he said. "The people who are paying us make the rules. You need to abide by the rules or don't work. I want to work."

Pierce, who said the matter should have been brought to the players' association for a vote, said there are times he may not follow the rule.

"I dress how I feel anyway," he said. "I think I'm just going to continue to dress how I feel. I think there's some days I may take a fine."

Jackson first made his displeasure with the new rule a public matter on Tuesday. He said he hasn't heard from the league office, and doesn't expect to.

"I still have freedom of speech, don't I?" he said. "I didn't disrespect anybody by saying it, so I can say what I want to say."

Im really on the fence with this dress code. I do see why the man would wanna lighten the "ghetto" attitude thats taken over as fad in the NBA as of late, but at the same time I dont really see it doing anything constructive.

In any case, I have to laugh at Iverson for two reasons:

1) Claiming the NBA should buy his clothes. They pay these guys more than enough already.

2) Based on the lyrics in his failed rap album, Iverson is probably the most racist person affiliated with the NBA.

I don't like dress codes myself.

Well, if they don't like it, they can always start another league or play somewhere else "for the love of the game".

I don't really care because I don't watch basketball anyway. "The NBA is young black males."

Actually, what I would really like is for the players to strike for about 3 - 4 years.

I used to be into professional sports back in high school, but as I grew up I realized that it was quickly turning into a contest to see who could make the most money and who can be the loudest shit talker with the most outrageous celebration dance. I was watching NFL's Greatest today with the likes of Dick Butkus, Walter Payton and so forth with the true legends of the game. Noone was digging pretend graves, motioning decapitation, doing the river dance, or pulling cel phones from their pants to call family members....just hard hitting no bullshit football. We'll never see those days again and it is too sad.

WolfPack Charlie said:
I used to be into professional sports back in high school, but as I grew up I realized that it was quickly turning into a contest to see who could make the most money and who can be the loudest shit talker with the most outrageous celebration dance. I was watching NFL's Greatest today with the likes of Dick Butkus, Walter Payton and so forth with the true legends of the game. Noone was digging pretend graves, motioning decapitation, doing the river dance, or pulling cel phones from their pants to call family members....just hard hitting no bullshit football. We'll never see those days again and it is too sad.

You have read my thoughts... I don't watch any basketball..can't stand it..and I hate the NFL almost as much with all the bullshit that goes on...about the only safe haven for real sports anymore that hasn't become "ghettoized" is Hockey...

And guess what....hockey has a dress code. I hope everyone sees the pattern. Like the NBA big wig said, players worrying about how street credible they look are focusing on the wrong thing, their street cred rather than their job. Yo man, I gots to wear my ice cause its who I am, it represents my generation....here's an idea, get off your lazy ass and put on a uniform. I say no more free rides for players who obviously feel well enough to sit on the bench in all their "HIP HOP gear" and joke around with other malingering team mates. If you cant play, sit your broke ass at home in your billion dollar mansion with your boxers hanging out of your shorts wearing 20 pounds of platinum and diamonds and shut the fuck up.

WolfPack Charlie said:
SO true! :worried:

Re: To continue this weeks theme of racism: NBA players believe dress code is "racis

WolfPack Charlie said:
And guess what....hockey has a dress code. I hope everyone sees the pattern. Like the NBA big wig said, players worrying about how street credible they look are focusing on the wrong thing, their street cred rather than their job. Yo man, I gots to wear my ice cause its who I am, it represents my generation....here's an idea, get off your lazy ass and put on a uniform. I say no more free rides for players who obviously feel well enough to sit on the bench in all their "HIP HOP gear" and joke around with other malingering team mates. If you cant play, sit your broke ass at home in your billion dollar mansion with your boxers hanging out of your shorts wearing 20 pounds of platinum and diamonds and shut the fuck up.

Racist!

Top Bottom