Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Glutamine Powder - Gold or Garbage?

Glutamine Powder - Garbage or Gold?

• Gold

Votes: 111 44.6%
  • Garbage

Votes: 53 21.3%
  • I have no idea but enjoy excercising my right to have my voice heard, although my voice isn't really

Votes: 85 34.1%

• Total voters
Dont mean to rock your boat but going to rock lots of peoples boats here with the truth. I'm about truth and bringing it to this board.
Glutamine is a WASTE of money unless you have GI issues where it is utilized almost exclusively and rapidly turned to glucose to regrow lining of digestove tract which renews itself about every 3-6 days.
Keep on track here kuz now it gets good!!!
Glutamine does help the gut to HEAL! As for increased muscle please dont waste your money..

Because your small intestine uses most of it as energy even over glucose. Therefore, a large amount doesn't make it into your blood and if it did, you'd have problems..............

We experimented with a couple glutamine based dipeptides and they worked t make me VERY agitated which is exactly what happens when large amounts glutamine get into the bloodstream and then cross the blood brain barrier and convert to glutamic acid/glutamate. This is a poison to the brain.

glutamine, if it does get into the blood stream, can be converted to glutamate in the brain via glutaminase.

As I've stated before with the use of glutamine dipeptides which I had to quit using because they caused agitation due to this very problem if your glutamine was getting into your blood stream you'd notice it.

You'd notice it, but that's about the worst thing could do as glutamate is bad news:

If you aim to preserve keen mental function into your later years, supplementing. with methylcobalamin is a smart move at any age. Methylcobalamin guards brain function by eliminating homocysteine and by protecting against neurotoxicity induced by glutamate, aspartate and nitroprusside (Eur Journal Pharm). Glutamate is a neurotransmitter involved in communication between brain neurons, which causes brain cell death when present in excessive amounts.

The neurotransmitter dopamine maintains normal nervous system and motor control Qf muscle. When brain cells are damaged or destroyed, they can no longer produce adequate dopamine and the result is Parkinson's disease that affects 1 in 100 people over the age of 65. Methylcobalamin benefits those suffering from Parkinson's for two reasons. First, it is a cofactor to the production of dopamine and other brain neurotransmitters. Second, it protects against glutamate-induced neural toxicity caused by L-dopa and Sinemet drug therapies prescribed for Parkinson's patients. Research recommends 1 to 5 mg a day of sublingual methylcobalamin for prevention of Parkinson's, and 5 to 20 mg for treatment.

You might also want to read this on how potentially harmful glutamine has been found to be and frankly from my point view, recommending glutamine is about as smart as recommending heroin use though I guess most of you are lucky your glutamine is bunk since it's not reaching your brain as you aren't wasting your brain like you are wasting your money!

Is Glutamine Supplementation Helpful or Harmful? 5/1/04

We are looking to protect our brains here, so buy yourself a good protein as your gut is going to absorb most of the glutamine taken seperately!

any questions on supplements please contact me at [email protected] I will get back to you asap. I am bound by laws to only comment on that which is entirely legal where you might reside.

Thanks,

Mark

I have gi issues that get worse with supplements. So i use bcaa with glutamine. I notice that im able to use more protein without getting constipated. So far i feel more regular which helps when trying to cram down 4000+ calories.

This is an old thread, but is still relevant.
From the posts in this thread linking to studies its allready safe to conclude:
-Glutamine (as free aminoacid) is absorbed from the GI tract in significant amounts: (altough much is also broken down in the intestine,
this however can be reduced if glutamine is given along with f.ex alanine. It does not need to be in the dipeptide form)
so at least we can conclude that glutamine reaches systemic circulation after oral use.

My own view of glutamine is that its such a common aminoacid in protein, that you only would need to use it combined with BCAA during your workout,
or when its been a couple of hours since last meal.
the benefits i hope to get from glutamin is:
-more resistance to Cold/flu : stimulation of the immune system.
-to prevent catabolic states when combined with BCAA
People on this thread has allready stated correctly that glutamine is used as a fuel for the white blood cells (like macrophages),
it may also stimmulate cells in the immune system in various ways: proliferation, cytokine release, etc
and lastly: it will aid the digestive system/enterocytes,
which is also very important for immune function.
Glutamine seems to be needed for mTOR activation (along with BCAA), which makes sense,
as the body's glutamine stores will reflect total protein Balance. (Glu is a very common aminoacid in protein)

So as for elite athletes or chemically enhanced athletes, who's bodies are under constant stress,
I think glutamine (along with BCAA) will aid the immune system,
and help create an anabolic enviroment.

As for the talk about glutamine being poisonous because it converts to glutamate in the brain (which would cause the same excitotoxicity as large doses of MSD,
this is not seen in individuals given even large doses. Keep in mind that while glutamine can convert to glutamate, this is in turn converted to GABA by glutamate decarboxylase,
so glutamine wil provide precursors to both excitatory & inhibitory nerotransmitters in the brain.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4272512/

This is the whole article, not just an abstract about glutamine, BCAA & Arginine.
It is from 2014 and reviews some of the current research.

Top Bottom